Do I have to complete SMP if accepted to medical school this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newjeans

Reaction score
I am a current reapplicant this cycle applying to both MD and DO schools. I am also currently enrolled to start a 16 month SMP program this semester. If I am accepted to a medical school this cycle, is it fine if I leave the SMP program early or will medical schools expect me to finish prior to matriculating? I did not include this SMP on my application since I had not committed to it yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, it will be fine to dump the program.
Thank you for the response! I noticed some medical schools admission requirements state "if an applicant is currently enrolled in a degree program, the program must be completed prior to the beginning of classes." Are SMPs not included in this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response! I noticed some medical schools admission requirements state "if an applicant is currently enrolled in a degree program, the program must be completed prior to the beginning of classes." Are SMPs not included in this?
That mainly means Bachelors degree, but anyhow, a 16 month SMP that hasn't started yet will not be over by the time you need to matriculate in med school! You would have to withdraw from the last part of it if you get accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
That mainly means Bachelors degree, but anyhow, a 16 month SMP that hasn't started yet will not be over by the time you need to matriculate in med school! You would have to withdraw from the last part of it if you get accepted.
Yes this is what I am worried about, due to when required courses are offered the quickest it can be completed is 16 months. My SMP advisor mentioned that I could pause the SMP and complete it later if accepted to a medical school but idk how realistic that is? The SMP is more my back up plan in case this cycle does not work out. I was worried that if I do get accepted this cycle my acceptance could be rescinded if I withdrew from the SMP. Not sure if I am overthinking this lol.

Your situation happens more frequently than you think. Tell your SMP director, and I am sure they will be happy for you, even if they have to scramble for another student to fill your spot. :)

Reactions: 1 users