Do I have to retake a pre-req course that I got a CR on ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustTooLit

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So back in 2017, I ended up with a C in Gen Chem 2 and decided to do CR instead (Pass grade) to "save" my GPA. I was wondering would med schools accept this CR grade ? I am currently in a DIY post bacc where I have taken 30+ credits for a 4.0 GPA so far. Do I still have to retake Gen Chem 2 for a letter grade ? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, unfortunately you do. The only prereq classes that are accepted with a P grade are those taken during the pandemic (and I’m not even sure if it extends beyond Spring 2020).

Yes, unfortunately you do. The only prereq classes that are accepted with a P grade are those taken during the pandemic (and I’m not even sure if it extends beyond Spring 2020).
Seems that way sadly. Thank you for the answer. I believe however DO schools have said they will accept all P/F grades but MD schools will not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey sorry to bother you with this. Do you know if I can submit the app before I retake the course or do I have to wait til I get the summer grades for my retake to submit it? I don't want to get dropped just because I have a CR in Gen Chem II from 2018.

Hey sorry to bother you with this. Do you know if I can submit the app before I retake the course or do I have to wait til I get the summer grades for my retake to submit it? I don't want to get dropped just because I have a CR in Gen Chem II from 2018.

You can submit the app before you retake the course, but you need to indicate on AMCAS that you plan on taking it Summer 2021. You'll email your transcript directly to the schools once you obtain your grade. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
You can submit the app before you retake the course, but you need to indicate on AMCAS that you plan on taking it Summer 2021. You'll email your transcript directly to the schools once you obtain your grade. Hope that helps!
Thank you! I was wondering if MD/DO schools do grade updates? I had also done a Physics 2 course as CR (Pass) during the covid semester of spring 2020. Do you think I should retake that course over the summer too or do u think they might let me slide since it was the covid semester? Thank you for your help :)

Thank you! I was wondering if MD/DO schools do grade updates? I had also done a Physics 2 course as CR (Pass) during the covid semester of spring 2020. Do you think I should retake that course over the summer too or do u think they might let me slide since it was the covid semester? Thank you for your help :)
It's a school specific policy, but the majority of schools accept transcripts that reflect new grades. If you get accepted to any school, you'll be

Don't retake Physics if you don't have to! Not worth it (financially or for grades).

• Love
It's a school specific policy, but the majority of schools accept transcripts that reflect new grades. If you get accepted to any school, you'll be

Don't retake Physics if you don't have to! Not worth it (financially or for grades).
Thank you! I really don’t want to retake Physics II 😭 it seems like spring 2020 is one of those semesters that let you get away with doing CR, hopefully since that semester was insanely stressful.