Do I Honestly Stand A Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyevee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd yr med student set on going into anesthesiology. Problem is that my grades and step 1 score are middle of the road, with not a lot of extracurricular involvement to speak of in terms of research, organizations, etc. However, the reason for a lot of this is that I have two children and a wife that works full time. Hence I have had to really make sacrifices in my studies to be a full time parent. With that in consideration, do you think that I have a shot of landing an anesthesia residency. I know that I will obviously not get love from the more presitgious and popular programs. But do you think that if one truly has the desire to go into anesthesia that there are enough positions to accomadate him? Would getting involved in departmental research over the course of the next year significantly improve my standing? I believe that I have all the other qualities that programs are looking for, i.e. hard working, gets along well with others, etc., the academic marks are the issue that I am concerned with the most. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You most definitely can match! A couple of things you should consider to help you chances:

1) Rotate at a couple of anesthesiology programs that you have interest in and land some solid letters. If you can get a letter from someone who is well known then that alone will land you interviews.

2) Take your USMLE II before you send your ERAS out (or in sept) , that way the programs can get your score while they consider you. That is if you feel your step I score is hurting you. This shows considerable effort on your part, which is a good thing.

You don't need to stress about publishing papers but that certainly won't hurt you. Focus on that STEP II, I think it really will do a lot for you. I personally think doing an ICU rotation and getting a letter from that field helped me out too (also helped me realize I had a true interest in this field). Maybe a consideration for you.

Best of luck

Eyevee,

I think you'll be fine with your stats. Having average boards and clinical grades will NOT preclude you from obtaining a position at an average program. To further increase your chances at matching at a prestigious program, I agree with Vent and would recommend rotating there if possible. Taking Step 2 early can be risky, as I have friends who took it early and unfortunately did worse than on Step 1. Considering the number of anesthesia positions these days (over 1000), it really won't ever approach the competitiveness of say, derm or optho, due to the sheer numbers. If you're an american grad, you'll be more than fine. Take care and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You will match no problem. I will quit medicine if you don't.

1. FOCUS ON STEPII (but even if you dont do well, still not a big deal) This is how you get your foot in the door.

2. ROTATE AT YOUR TOP CHOICES- man, you are a step up if they get to know you for a month. This is the other way of getting your foot in the door. It's more important to be a nice person who shows enthusiasm rather than impressing everyone with your knowledge.

also, if you have your heart set on a certain city, a letter from one program may help you swing an interview at another in that same city. These people know each other.

Best of luck!

Agree with above. Blast Step II, you should be able to get a good score if you study hard. I recommend doing tons and tons of questions. Rotations are also key, get some good letters, and you'll be fine. I would also apply as early as possible and to plenty of programs. Remember there are a lot of people applying for anesthesia but there are also a lot of spots.

These things have worked for me. My step I of 214 was not that impressive and my class rank is middle of the road, but a step II of 240 and having great letters has gotten me plenty of great interviews.

Being that you have a family and this is a big priority for you the most prestigious programs probably wouldn't be the best fit for you anyway. In general, they work you harder with longer hours. There are plenty of very solid programs out there that don't make the top 5-10 list.
There are different ways to looking at taking step 2 early vs. waiting. If you take it early and do well then obviously it's great and will help you. On the other hand if you do poorly it could hurt you. If your step 1 score is indeed mediocre, then some programs might just want to see that you passed step 2.
One thing that is essential is making it clear to the programs why you want to go into anesthesia and that it's for the right reasons, not just lifestyle and hours. Programs want residents who are excited about the field, and easy to work with. Focusing on those qualities will help you get one of your preferred spots.