Do I keep my minor or work on prereqs? Which will help me more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charlotter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly.. I don't see the point in minoring. I was at the same position my senior year of college with my psychology minor. I don't think PT programs would've given my minor much thought when comparing it to the fact that all my pre-reqs were completed before applying to their program.

I think your main focus, like you hinted at, should be to excel in your physics courses as those are guaranteed to be a factor for acceptance unlike cell bio and your other courses which will definitely help but aren't required for most schools!

No real scientific basis or given feedback from a program. Just my personal opinion!

Honestly, I don't think minors matter to PT programs. PTCAS doesn't ask you to include them and I was never asked if I have any. I just wanted to chime in because I was a health promo major, bio minor and ended up switching to the bio major, health promo minor, and picking up a psych minor as well. I don't think the minors or my major had any impact on getting into school, but I will tell you that I feel they have all prepared me very well for PT school and the material I have learned has given me more to talk about in my interviews. Also, cell biology was the course that really interested me in biology, and if you enjoy biology I think cell is really awesome and helpful. It is something I will always have in the back of my mind in PT school. So, if you are interested in biology and feel you want to know more and have the time, I would go for finishing the minor. But honestly, will it affect your chances of getting in at least on paper? I doubt it. It's just a matter of what you are most interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you're gonna have to take physics if you're going to apply to PT school, you don't really have a choice about that one. Whether or not you want to take cell bio and genetics is totally up to you. It won't affect your chances at PT school notably, but I will say cell bio and genetics have been two of my favorite classes in college. Take them if you personally want the knowledge, don't waste your time if you are just doing it to up your chances for PT school.

Are you planning on taking courses during the summer? Because if you do that, you will have plenty of time to finish your major and take physics. Or you can get an override to take more credit hours per semester (18+ credits). Problem solved.

Reactions: 1 user
^^^I agree. I'd just get whatever classes your planning on taking over with by the time you graduate. Enrolling in a separate community college after graduation just to take physics sounds like a major pain in the rear.

This would be ideal, however it costs a lot of money to take summer classes or extra classes during the semester, which I can't afford.

No doubt. That's why I'm in debt and will be for years to come.

Reactions: 1 user