Parallax

5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Hoping for some advice on whether I need a postbac/SMP program (DIY or formal).
I’ll start with stats/background and follow with specific questions.

Overall stats:
cGPA:3.58 (DO: 3.8)
sGPA:3.61 (DO: 3.7)
No MCAT yet

CC: 4 years -- "AMCAS" GPA result: sGPA 3.5, cGPA 3.3
University: 2 years, 4.0, program valedictorian --"AMCAS" GPA: 4.0

Research: 4 years (bench and clinical), several posters and national/international conference presentations, invitations to present, etc.

Other: shadowing ~100h (research, clinic, private practice), fundraising, TA/teaching (underserved, college and medical students), membership in professional societies, community emergency preparedness instructor, etc.

Main issue: CC courses include all prereqs; 11 W’s and repeats at CC in math/chem/physics prereqs and other courses over 2 year period (all repeated for A/B grade). CC classes are all prior to university classes.

Questions:
  1. DIY: Would a few upper level bio classes be enough to demonstrate that I can “handle” a science courseload, or do I need more to show “consistency”?
  2. DIY#2: GSMI (Georgetown Summer Medical Institute) offers medical school classes over the summer--would taking 1-2 courses show I can "handle" the sciences?
  3. Formal postbac/SMP: undergraduate or graduate level matter in this case? (Program suggestions welcome.)
  4. Would you suggest a postbac/SMP for DO as well as MD?
  5. How forgiving is DO grade forgiveness (i.e. grades vs. trends)?
I am considering a DIY postbac at my state school or a formal program (Temple, JHU HSI, EVMS, Drexel IMS, G2SMP).

Thanks for reading—I am always impressed by the info I learn here and how willing people are to help!

Last edited:

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You don't help yourself by putting AMCAS in quotes, because if you want to go to an MD school, AMCAS is the only GPA calculation that matters. What matters the most is the AMCAS cumulative GPA calc using AMCAS categorizations. All classes including repeats at all schools.

If you're took a full courseload including some science to get that 4.0 for 2 years, then no worries. Once you get past the number screens, which you will assuming a good MCAT, your strong finish will carry weight. I had more withdrawals than you do.

Figure out a rational plan to apply next June. Rational means that your competitive MCAT score is in your hand before you apply, which means you take the MCAT by May at the latest and you prep with rigor and seriousness. See the reapplicant forum for mistakes to avoid.

Best of luck to you.

OP
Parallax

Parallax

5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
My mistake including the quotes--the numbers are calculated according to AMCAS categories, including repeats.

The 2 years at 4.0 are a full load and include science courses (biostats, epidemiology, pathophysiology) but not the upper levels I usually see referenced (e.g. biochem, physiology, cell bio).

Planning for an April MCAT; I'll swing by the reapplicant forum.

Thanks for the well wishes (and for the great advice you give around here).