Do I need extra courses to get in to DO School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarah Miller

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are registering for classes and I was wondering if I needed to start taking a bunch of extra courses like Anatomy, Microbiology, Biochemistry, or Genetics to get in?
If I can just take the Bio, Chem, Organic Chem, Physics, and English and get in, I don't want to take a bunch of extra stuff for no reason.
Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Not required, but admissions committees like to see you attempt upper level science courses and do well.

Schools have varying requirements. I'd check each school that you are interested in so you aren't left scrambling.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first step is not calling it DO School. However, there are medical schools that grant a DO degree.

The requirements, in general, are the same. There are small variations between various MD and DO med schools as others have said. The main difference is that many schools require a DO shadowing experience or LOR from a DO.

Reactions: 1 users
You can take the bare minimum and still get in. For example, we accepted Business and English majors.

We are registering for classes and I was wondering if I needed to start taking a bunch of extra courses like Anatomy, Microbiology, Biochemistry, or Genetics to get in?
If I can just take the Bio, Chem, Organic Chem, Physics, and English and get in, I don't want to take a bunch of extra stuff for no reason.

I believe some schools require Biochemistry and Genetics. Check the requirements in the CIB.

Download the 2014 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (CIB) here: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

some schools require additional upper level (300+) science courses such as the school that i'll be attending this summer. i'd take as many upper level biology courses as you can fit in to your schedule such as cell biology, microbiology, biochemistry, etc as long as you can get good grades in them. it'll give you a better foundation when you start medical school, but of course many schools do not require any additional science courses besides for gen bio, gen chem, orgo, and physics. just make sure to look into the requirements for each school you're interested in so you know what classes you do and don't need for acceptance.

Just off the top of my head: KCUMB requires genetics, VCOM requires 6 hrs of 300 level or above biology, UNECOM requires biochemistry, DMU require biochemistry, I think UNT requires extra bio courses but not sure how many. That is all I can think of.

MUCOM will be requiring biochemistry this next cycle as well

The first step is not calling it DO School. However, there are medical schools that grant a DO degree..
I'm not ashamed to say that I attend a DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not ashamed to say that I attend a DO school.

You shouldn't be and nor should anyone. I didn't mean to imply that.

There was a recent thread with some confusion (in addition to the general pre-med confusion) that medical school and "DO School" are different things. As in if someone doesn't get into medical school they can go to DO School, implying it is something parallel to becoming a physician but not the same. Just clarifying that point because it was a recent topic of discussion or for someone with a similar misunderstanding coming from the cesspool that is the pre-allo forum.

Most people just call it DO school.

The common people usually ask "Is that a DO school or a medical school?"