Do I need more E.C.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybemed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a mentor For my County for 3 months.

I was a translator for Haitian Creole at the Cardid Center for 3 months ( Nova sends their medical, dental and pharm students there for training)

I have a 100 hrs of random volunteer hours ( some medical some non medical)

I am working as a tutor-- I plan to apply next year so I will have a year of tutoring in.

I have about 80 hrs of shadowing and plan to do more after my MCAT in Jan.

I have a job interview at a doctor office Tues hopefully it goes well and I can add that to my list or after my Jan test I will work as a CNA to gain more patient contact.

I really need money so I can not volunteer my time... and my time is limited now that I have to study for the mcat.

I do not know if this counts but I have a 3.7 overall gpa and a 3.6 scigpa ( my gpa should not change since I just graduated in Aug. )and I am a black female fl resident.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a translator for Haitian Creole at the Cardid Center for 3 months ( Nova sends their medical, dental and pharm students there for training)

I am working as a tutor-- I plan to apply next year so I will have a year of tutoring in.

I have a job interview at a doctor office Tues hopefully it goes well and I can add that to my list or after my Jan test I will work as a CNA to gain more patient contact.

I really need money so I can not volunteer my time... and my time is limited now that I have to study for the mcat.

I do not know if this counts but I have a 3.7 overall gpa and a 3.6 scigpa ( my gpa should not change since I just graduated in Aug. )and I am a black female fl resident.

Get a 23 MCAT and you're golden

Not true. I called LECOM and they told me their minimum MCAT score is a 25.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not true. I called LECOM and they told me their minimum MCAT score is a 25.

They're probably saying that's their average. No way they screen out anyone under a 25, especially a URM female.

It looks like your plate is pretty full since you need to make some money. How often will you be working? Can you increase volunteer hours on the weekends, if this is possible. They will likely be non-medical, but I think you have the medical aspect of ECs covered fairly well.

It looks like your plate is pretty full since you need to make some money. How often will you be working? Can you increase volunteer hours on the weekends, if this is possible. They will likely be non-medical, but I think you have the medical aspect of ECs covered fairly well.

Right now I probably work 10 hrs a wk but my hours will start to increase since the school year has just begin and if I am lucky I will get the job at the medical office.
And when I am not working I am studying for the mcat.

Yeah, probably around 26-27. That isn't enough reason to autoscreen anyone just 2 points lower.

Sure it is, there are plenty of applicants that have scores well above that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now I probably work 10 hrs a wk but my hours will start to increase since the school year has just begin and if I am lucky I will get the job at the medical office.
And when I am not working I am studying for the mcat.

What kind of job are you applying for at the office? Either way, if you're not working on the weekends I would strongly consider finding somewhere to volunteer. Doesn't have to be medical. By the looks of it, you have a few medical-related activities. But with only 100 hours of volunteer split between medical and non-medical, you could probably stand better having more non-medical volunteer hours. Just a thought.

What kind of job are you applying for at the office? Either way, if you're not working on the weekends I would strongly consider finding somewhere to volunteer. Doesn't have to be medical. By the looks of it, you have a few medical-related activities. But with only 100 hours of volunteer split between medical and non-medical, you could probably stand better having more non-medical volunteer hours. Just a thought.

I do work as a tutor wouldn't they count that as non medical work.
And I was a mentor for 3 months

Being a URM, I think you're good. Especially if you get the CNA.

Id like to point out the average mcat for AA matriculants for DO school is 22. There really isnt that many schools that screen out MCAT scores that I can think of. I know tons of people that apply and get secondaries with a 22-23 mcat. Even a 20. Still, you should aim as high as possible for your MCAT score.

Id like to point out the average mcat for AA matriculants for DO school is 22. There really isnt that many schools that screen out MCAT scores that I can think of. I know tons of people that apply and get secondaries with a 22-23 mcat. Even a 20. Still, you should aim as high as possible for your MCAT score.

Thanks for the stats. The bold part is really the point I was trying to make. Personally, I'm not someone who simply shoots for average.

yea when you take the MCAT make sure youve studied so much you hate life. if you're not hating life yet then you havent finished studying for the MCAT.

yea when you take the MCAT make sure youve studied so much you hate life. if you're not hating life yet then you havent finished studying for the MCAT.

:laugh: FYI, that doesn't change once you're in med school.

This is an accurate statement :laugh:

Study till it hurts, then study some more. Really you should study until you are scoring a couple points above your target score (unless your target isn't realistic given your academics or aptitude).

Thanks for the stats. The bold part is really the point I was trying to make. Personally, I'm not someone who simply shoots for average.

Same.

I was actually a little sad that I wouldn't have to study anymore. MCAT had pretty much become my life outside of work. But as soon as I finished my test I didn't feel that way anymore :)

This is exactly what I am doing now. Hopefully it works, I only want to take the MCAT once.