Do I need non-ENT research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highway31

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a new MS2 with 4 different projects ongoing, all with the ENT department at my program. I think I'm off to a good start in getting the amount of research experience necessary to match successfully, but I'm wondering if this may be too narrow. I have no other research experience. I've got significant previous healthcare experience and am really not interested in other specialties. Obviously if an interesting opportunity comes up that's unrelated I'll take it, but is this something I should seek out?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a new MS2 with 4 different projects ongoing, all with the ENT department at my program. I think I'm off to a good start in getting the amount of research experience necessary to match successfully, but I'm wondering if this may be too narrow. I have no other research experience. I've got significant previous healthcare experience and am really not interested in other specialties. Obviously if an interesting opportunity comes up that's unrelated I'll take it, but is this something I should seek out?

Thanks in advance.
If you're set on ENT, then the answer is no one cares about anything other than ENT research.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're set on ENT, then the answer is no one cares about anything other than ENT research.
Hard disagree. Research is research and pubs are pubs. No one will turn their nose up at your dozens of publications and conference presentations just because they're in a field other than ENT. Obviously doing ENT research is best and most impressive because your interviewers will be able to relate to it. But all research is valuable, and I frequently found myself discussing my non-ENT research at interviews. Plus you should be doing things you're interested in, and if you like cardiology as a med student even if not as a career choice, go for it! Bottom line is do ENT research if you can, but any research can help you.

Reactions: 1 users