Do I need physics 2 before taking the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinluvinman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a little bit of a unique situation in that I am in a 5th year Master's in biology program right program so I am working on both my BS and MS at the same time. I have enough CLEP and duel-enrollment credits and some summer classes that I am still planning to finish this program in only 4 years. I have had all my intro bios, gen chem, and o chem, and I am currently in physics 1 (not cal based). Due to some scheduling issues, I would be better off delaying taking physics 2 until the summer instead of this spring, but I was planning to take the MCAT for the first time towards the beginning of the summer (my anticipated graduation date would be May of 2014 with both degrees).

So in short, my question is is physics 2 really needed or highly recommended before taking it, or will it mostly only cover topics from physics 1? If there are a few select topics from physics 2 then I could probably just review those on my own and be ok, but if there is a substantial amount then I can probably rework my schedule if I really need to.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not "needed," but I would highly recommend taking Physics II. It covers all the electromagnetism topics that are covered on the MCAT. I think the MCAT tends to emphasize mechanics a bit more than electromagnetism, but you still won't do very well if you don't have a solid grounding in EM.