Do I need Recent Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladygatorfl

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, longtime lurker and figured this would be the best spot for this question.

I am a non-trad, BS in Mech and Aero Engineering 2005, MS in Aero Engineering 2007 that included research for 2.5 years and a thesis. I have been working in Aerospace Engineering since and I am planning on taking the MCAT next spring after I finish up some of the pre-req courses this year (2019 matriculation is the goal).

My question, I know the med schools like to see research, and I do have research that includes a thesis, conference presentation and published paper (albeit non-medical) from my masters, although it was 10 years ago. Since that time though I have had conference presentation and a separate paper publication through work.

I'm not aiming at the top 20 power houses (although I may apply to one or two just for reachers), but likely more mid-tier MD schools. I may have a couple opportunities to do research while doing these pre-req courses as a post-bacc, but between volunteering, coursework, work, my time left for research is getting slim.

How critical is it that I have recent research on my application? Especially considering my research was in no way medically related?

Other stats:
Will have 200+ clinical volunteer hours by application
500+ hours non-clinical volunteer hours
Aiming for 50-100 hours clinical shadowing
Work 10 years as team lead engineer
sGPA ~ 3.85
cGPA ~ 3.7

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

As @gonnif has pointed out numerous times, research is only of medium importance to private schools and of low importance to public schools. The only places that will want to see it are the top research powerhouses.

277-mcat-student-selection-2014-mcatstudentselectionguide-page-012-jpg.202074

Also, having your research be non-medical is actually a good thing, I've found. I've done medical and non-medical research, and all anyone wants to talk about is my math research.