Do I need to do a SMP or post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegoldenmeme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Much appreciation to anyone who invests the time to read and/or respond!

1. Should I assume I'll need to do a SMP or post bacc, considering:
  • 3.24-ish UG GPA
  • Significant upward trend
  • 3.7+ for the last 80 credits
  • 3.7+ Science GPA
  • Attending an evening division of a prestigious university vs a standard day school (degree conferred is same as day school's)
  • About 6yrs working in clinical research at a prestigious university (5years with direct patient contact)
  • Shadowing hours in various specialties with a great recommendation (50+)
  • Recommendation from division chief (my boss), a well-regarded established research MD who has supervised me and knows me very well
  • 5 leadership positions lasting multiple years- 4 at work and 1 outside of it (some of it non-clinical/non-med)
  • Volunteering over 100 hours (some of it non-clinical/non-med)
  • Unknown MCAT
2. How much of a difference is there between a 3.7+ GPA in post-bacc vs the last 80 credits? I know post-bacc and grad GPA are broken out from the undergrad GPA for apps and I'm wondering how much impact that has... is more significance given to a post-bacc 3.7 vs a 3.7 during the last 80 credits?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need to do a postbac if you're going to be taking your pre-reqs while in university. Postbacs are for those who haven't finished their basic sciences courses and are out of college for whatever reason. So just take whatever pre-req classes you need while finishing your degree, then ace the MCAT and apply. Apply for SMPs at the same time you apply for med school (apps for med school usually open in the summer and then apps for SMPs open in the fall and go into the spring), and they're fairly similar so you don't have to change too much. That way if you don't get accepted into med school hopefully you'll be taken by an SMP and that will strengthen your application for the next cycle.

Honestly though I think if you focus on doing well in your classes and acing the MCAT you look like you'll be in great shape to me. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see the need for a post-bac....but it was difficult to make it through your Stephen King length novella. Really, you could have stopped alone at your academics and asked the same question.

Primary Questions:

• 3.24-ish UG GPA
  • 3.7+ Science GPA
  • Attending an evening division of a prestigious university vs a standard day school (degree conferred is same as day school's)
  • About 6yrs working in clinical research at a prestigious university (5years with direct patient contact)
  • Recommendation from division chief (my boss), a well-regarded established research MD who has supervised me and knows me very well
  • 5 leadership positions lasting multiple years- 4 at work and 1 outside of it (some of it non-clinical/non-med)
  • Unknown MCAT
2. How much of a difference is there between a 3.7+ GPA in post-bacc vs the last 80 credits? I know post-bacc and grad GPA are broken out from the undergrad GPA for apps and I'm wondering how much impact that has... is more significance given to a post-bacc 3.7 vs a 3.7 during the last 80 credits?

Additional information:

I am a 32 year old hoping to get into medical school. I have given my significant other a range of time it will take me to prepare for and apply to medical school (3-5 years). I'm hoping to clarify the length of time I have before applying to medical school (if I do a post-bacc or SMP it will add 1-2 years and change the way I arrange my coursework). If I am not planning on a post-bacc I would arrange my classes such that I don't have a gap year (I'd take the science classes first and save major/gen ed requirements for the last year of school- after MCAT).

My initial undergraduate attempt was marred by depression- I often got F's because I never even attended the class and didn't drop. I retook the classes and had an adjusted GPA of 3.0, but for medical school purposes my starting GPA was 2.0. I abandoned school efforts, started working (some nonprofit work, but income was from programming), and got help for the depression.

Work/Patient Contact: I've excelled in my professional life despite lacking a bachelors. Two years ago I got a job at a prestigious university's medical school in a clinical research department. Hired initially to build a grants database, I was asked to stay on to build and manage a database for clinical data. I was able to automate a great deal of the data management, freeing time to do other things. For the last 6 months my role has been about half building databases for clinical research studies/managing clinical research data and half patient contact for the clinical studies (patient intake, running study visits, etc).

Shadowing/Recommendations: My co-workers and boss' are extremely supportive- the head of my department is actually who initially suggested I consider medical school and has taken an active role in mentoring me. One of the MD's offered shadowing experience (I have about 10 hours with him so far with many more hours on the calendar) and he has arranged shadowing opportunities with colleagues in other specialties. There are several MD's at work who will provide very good recommendations.

Research: Working in clinical research, I will have years of research experience. I have been told by PIs to at least expect a mention in papers and/or conf presentations, but there is also potential to be an author (not first or even second, though). There is opportunity to do my own research and I could get help from my co-workers in publishing, but it feels low priority compared to the other aspects of my preparation. I could be wrong about the importance of this aspect of an application.

Leadership/Volunteering: I have several division and department leadership roles, am on the young friends board at one nonprofit (not science/med related), hold a leadership position in the Wellness Organization at work, and volunteer for an outdoors related nonprofit for disadvantaged youth.

Schoolwork/GPA: The university where I work offers free tuition (up to 7 credits a semester) and I've returned part-time in the evening school to finish my BS in Psychological and Brain Science. Since returning I have maintained a 3.7 GPA. I plan to supplement the 7 credits of free tuition with 3 gen ed credits at the community college some semesters. It will be at least 3 years before I finish.
I have about 74 credits remaining, 33 of which are general & major requirements. I need a minimum of 39 pre-med requirements. I can finish my BS and the pre-med requirements without having to take many hours beyond graduation. But, even if I get great grades my cumulative undergrad GPA will likely be around 3.24 because of those early classes.

MCAT: I know the MCAT plays a big part in this process. Not having taken it, I have little information to provide here, except- I will take a prep-course through the university, do some private tutoring, and have been approved to take a 3 month leave from work to study for the MCAT full time.

Hobbies/Misc: This may or not be helpful in med apps, but I am a very active hiker/backpacker with an interest in wilderness survival. I have climbed many mountains, have wilderness first responder certification through NOLS and plan to get W-EMT this summer. I'd like to find volunteer opportunities as a W-EMT. I also plan to work toward the
Fellowship in the Academy of Wilderness Medicine credential.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see the need for a post-bac....but it was difficult to make it through your Stephen King length novella. Really, you could have stopped alone at your academics and asked the same question.
Thanks for the feedback. Edited from novella to flash fiction. :)

Last edited:

• 3.24-ish UG GPA
  • 3.7+ Science GPA
  • Unknown MCAT

I know I'm not answering the question you asked, but you will likely need additional LORs. As far as I know, every school requires at least one letter from a science professor with whom you've taken a class. I would also get some more volunteering in, especially if those 100 hours aren't very recent.

Whether you need an SMP will depend on your MCAT and how willing you are to apply broadly and go wherever you get in. The higher the MCAT and the more willing, the less the need for any further grade remediation.

Reactions: 1 user