Do I need to do audition electives in anesthesia as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a soon-to-be 4th year medical student at a DO school and plan to apply to anesthesiology residencies through the MD/ACGME match and I am wondering whether I need to do multiple away/audition electives in anesthesia to increase my chance of acceptance. I have read previous threads on the topic but I felt that the comments were geared more toward MD applicants. Also, I have received mixed opinions from faculty at our school about what I should do. Yesterday I met with the Dean to discuss my Dean's letter materials and he is adamant that I do 3-4 anesthesia electives at potential residency sites. Currently I have just one audition scheduled from which I hope to get a good LOR.

I have a 253 on Step 1, good pre-clinical and clinical grades. I have taken Step 2, no score yet. Any advice on the topic will be very appreciated. Basically, I just want to know if I have anything to gain from doing additional auditions, if not, I do not feel that it is worth the expense and extra time away from family.

Members don't see this ad.

YES!

Do at least one/maybe 2 and get some decent letters.

I don't necessarily think it would be a deal breaker without letters from an academic anesthesiologist (esp w/a Step 1 in the 250's), but it will help.

Even though you have good scores and are likely to match, it can't hurt you to do audition rotations.

I guess if you have some personality flaw that makes you a better applicant on paper than in person, rotations could hurt you. We had a guy rotate through that had about the best board scores of anyone that applied that year, everyone thought he was annoying though. He didn't get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, just go to a DO residency.

Thanks for the comments! I can definitely see the value in doing auditions in terms of getting good letters. I have one audition scheduled so I'll plan on adding one, maybe 2 additional.

I just hope I am not too late to get into them in time for a letter. Any suggestions on great DO friendly programs. I'll check some of the other threads and see if there is any info on that topic. Thanks again.

Last edited: