Do I need to take a gap year ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman about to enter sophomore year in the fall. I've taken 1 year of biology. 1 year of gen chem. 1 semester of physics. I'm taking physics 2 in the fall with orgo 1 and taking orgo 2 in the spring.

After that I'm going to take biochem in the fall of junior year and start studying for the mcat in December. Hopefully I take the test by may and apply in June. Am I on track to not take a gap year as long as I get a good MCAT score. I've gotten A's in all prereqs and have a 3.92 GPA. thanks! Any additional scheduling advice is appreciated.

Ps. I've also already taken psychology and sociology.

Members don't see this ad.

I see no reason why you would NEED a gap year at this point. Seems like you're on track. Are you signed up for the MCAT? If you take one of the earlier versions you get a huge amazon card I think.. like >$100 i think.

Id take the MCAT earlier in the year if at all possible (gives you the opportunity to retake it and reapply in the same cycle)... But yeah, from the limited information you provided and the limited academic information that can be gathered from a freshman year, you appear on track to apply for the cycle that would eliminate a gap year

Members don't see this ad :)
Id take the MCAT earlier in the year if at all possible (gives you the opportunity to retake it and reapply in the same cycle)... But yeah, from the limited information you provided and the limited academic information that can be gathered from a freshman year, you appear on track to apply for the cycle that would eliminate a gap year
agreed. if you have the time to study over winter, try to take the mcat in like march. depending on your average scores for your full length practice tests and how you felt on the day of the test, i'd sign up for a retake in may and then wait for your scores to come back in april.

i suggest signing up for the retake just so the spot doesn't fill up. yes you will lose out on some money, but i'd rather be safe and have the possibility of being able to retake on a date that works for me.

it depends on your EC's, not just on your stats

If your ECs include enough clinical exposure and maybe a few things that make you stand out then you wouldn't have any reason to need a gap year. Whether you might want a gap year is an entirely different decision.

I don't think you need a gap year, but there's no harm in taking a gap year. I'm taking a gap year because it's so nice pursuing my other passions and dreams before committing myself to 8 to 12 years of medical work.

You probably don't need a gap year but you never know... My numbers were good and I still took 3 gap years