Do I need to take Anatomy and Physiology before applying

Started by Hotshy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hotshy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

This is a bit of a random question but, how important is it that I take anatomy and physiology before applying to medical school? I am currently heading into my junior year and my molecular biology major does not require it, but I will be taking it during my senior year.

How will this impact the admissions process if at all?
 
Hi Everyone,

This is a bit of a random question but, how important is it that I take anatomy and physiology before applying to medical school? I am currently heading into my junior year and my molecular biology major does not require it, but I will be taking it during my senior year.

How will this impact the admissions process if at all?

it's not required but physio sure is cool and supposedly helps with the MCAT. I personally recommend it
 
it's not required but physio sure is cool and supposedly helps with the MCAT. I personally recommend it

Well thanks for your input. I actually scored 13 on the BS section of the MCAT without taking the anatomy course, just knew what was in the examkrackers bio book.

But as long as it doesn't affect the admissions process I'm happy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Physiology = Medicine

If you don't like physiology, change career paths.

Take physiology, because it will help you with the MCAT studying. One less hard subject to worry about.

Anatomy is not necessary, but I've heard it helps people to have a background when they actually DO get to medical school.
 
Physiology = Medicine

If you don't like physiology, change career paths.

Take physiology, because it will help you with the MCAT studying. One less hard subject to worry about.

Anatomy is not necessary, but I've heard it helps people to have a background when they actually DO get to medical school.
Meh. I'd say this is marginally true. The actual post-bacc students at my school, that DID their post-bacc here, seem to be at a bit of an advantage, but the rest of us, whether we took anatomy or not, not so much.

I personally think physio helped me on the MCAT, but other people have said their BS section hardly had any physio and was more biochemistry, so that seems to be luck of the draw.

OP, if you already got a 13 on the BS section of the MCAT, I wouldn't bother with A&P unless you want to take it for S&G. 😉
 
You don't need to take them at all unless you wanna.

I took Physio, which was pretty interesting. However, my choices to take Biochem and Cell Bio are really helping me out right now in school. Seems like more schools are considering making Biochem a prereq (and it already is for some). So, if you really, really wanted the most helpful class, Biochem would probably be it.

Having said that, there are so many helpful classes you could take and not really enough time to take them all. So, finish the basic prereqs, and then choose a few upper division classes that interest you. Don't worry about how it will look to med schools (any upper division science=good).
 
Eh, you'll learn A&P in med school. I vote for spending that time and money on some interesting elective instead.
 
Physiology = Medicine

If you don't like physiology, change career paths.

Take physiology, because it will help you with the MCAT studying. One less hard subject to worry about.

Anatomy is not necessary, but I've heard it helps people to have a background when they actually DO get to medical school.

for the record, it is very possible to be bored to tears by undergrad physiology and then rediscover it once in med school and able to correlate it to stuff.

OP never said s/he didn't like it.

UG anatomy is worthless as med school prep.