Graduating Early (No Anatomy/Physiology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pumping Iron

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for reading,

Non-science major (NV/CA ORM) graduating early in December 2022, planning to apply 2023-2024 cycle. At the cost of graduating early, I will not have A/P taken on my transcript at my undergrad college (NV). I would like exposure to A/P, and I'm considering taking it back home at my local CC in CA at a much cheaper cost post-graduation during the application cycle whilst living with my parents and working in California, or self-study on my own using Anki. How much of a red flag is No A/P at the time of application submission? Can I address my lack of A/P in my application? I changed to pre-med late into my sophomore year, and couldn't fit A/P into my schedule in order to graduate early. The guilt of not taking A/P is eating me alive, but I want to graduate early and apply as soon as possible.

Edit: To clarify, I am prioritizing the semester of Spring 2023 for dedicated MCAT studying, and I am seeking consulting/research jobs throughout the cycle for 2023-2024.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't rush. A gap year is preferred to get all activities and prerequisites taken care of. I would recommend you wait.

Don't rush. A gap year is preferred to get all activities and prerequisites taken care of. I would recommend you wait.
Prerequisites + Genetics will be completed in December 2022! It's only the lack of A/P that's concerning me.

Would it be a better usage of one's time to pursue a consulting/research job during my gap year post-graduation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Get A/P out of way and get more clinical and nonclinical volunteering done. You can never have enough. You wouldn't believe how hard, judgemental and selective this process is. Don't take any chances. It is too expensive to mess up on.

Thanks in advance for reading,

Non-science major (NV/CA ORM) graduating early in December 2022, planning to apply 2023-2024 cycle. At the cost of graduating early, I will not have A/P taken on my transcript at my undergrad college (NV). I would like exposure to A/P, and I'm considering taking it back home at my local CC in CA at a much cheaper cost post-graduation during the application cycle whilst living with my parents and working in California, or self-study on my own using Anki. How much of a red flag is No A/P at the time of application submission? Can I address my lack of A/P in my application? I changed to pre-med late into my sophomore year, and couldn't fit A/P into my schedule in order to graduate early. The guilt of not taking A/P is eating me alive, but I want to graduate early and apply as soon as possible.
Take a look at the pre- reqs of the medical schools you are interested in. Most do not require you to take anatomy & physiology in college!

Reactions: 4 users
Take a look at the pre- reqs of the medical schools you are interested in. Most do not require you to take anatomy & physiology in college!
I was concerned with not having as much clinical and nonclinical volunteering when graduating early. Also even though it is not required doesn't mean it is great thing to go into M1 without that knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user
Why in the world do you feel guilty about not having A&P? Let that go. Unless you find a school that requires it and you would love to apply to that school then go ahead with graduating early and not worrying about it. I took A&P at the last second simply out of interested and it DID NOT HELP ME AT ALL in medical school. Sure it could be different for you but this decision seems to be stressing you and I promise you it's nothing to work yourself up about.

Reactions: 2 users
Why in the world do you feel guilty about not having A&P? Let that go. Unless you find a school that requires it and you would love to apply to that school then go ahead with graduating early and not worrying about it. I took A&P at the last second simply out of interested and it DID NOT HELP ME AT ALL in medical school. Sure it could be different for you but this decision seems to be stressing you and I promise you it's nothing to work yourself up about.
Thank you. Whenever I'm prompted by other premeds when/if I've taken A/P and I tell them I haven't, they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm losing my mind.

Thank you. Whenever I'm prompted by other premeds when/if I've taken A/P and I tell them I haven't, they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm losing my mind.
It is true it is not necessary if you have the necessary qualification elsewhere in your application.

Reactions: 1 user
It's more common for pre-nursing, pre-PT and pre-OT students to have to take Anatomy in college.
When you take it in med school you will go into the subject in more depth.
If you want to get a little familiar with it you can explore the Apple anatomy app or something like that

Reactions: 1 users