Taking Anatomy Before Bio I to impress Career Changer Post-Bacc Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Twixmoment

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this a bad idea? Was looking at an Anatomy course through UC Berkeley Extension. It says that it "recommends one year of College-level Biology", but it's not a requirement. In college, I was a philosophy major with essentially zero science coursework and a relatively mediocre GPA @ 3.5. If possible, I want to demonstrate my capabilities in science coursework to the best of my abilities before I apply to the career changer post baccs later this year (bryn mawr, gwu, scripps, uva etc.).

I reached out to some of the officials running the post-bacc and they recommended AGAINST taking any of the pre-reqs (e.g bio I, chem I, etc.) and suggested taking Calc I, Biostats, or A&P. They would rather I not have taken them than have it interfere with the usual curriculum in the program.

I received an A in both Calc I and Biostats (4.0 BCPM fwiw hahaha) but I still think this doesn't really demonstrate my abilities to do well in science courses. Additionally, I kind of think that an adequately rigorous Anatomy course would be a good introduction into whether I would enjoy some of the coursework of medicine before I dive into the hellfire expensive commitment that is a formal post-bacc program and even moreso a career in medicine.

In my incredibly naive understanding, anatomy sounds all right in my mind. Since it's more memorization based rather than concept based, I could maybe get by with a crap ton of anki grinding? There is a lot of pressure and risk here as not getting an A in anatomy would look really bad for the post-baccs. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot if I'm fighting an uphill battle by not taking bio beforehand. But if I were to do well I do feel like it would get rid of a lot of doubt regarding my abilities to do well in science coursework.

An alternative is taking the non-major equivalent for bio, but these courses are quite expensive and I kind of get the sense that it's pointless to spend the $1000+ take them if they won't really contribute to requirements/desired courses for med school admissions. Any thoughts on this?

Am I in over my head here?