Do I qualify for step 3???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAMMY07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am ECFMG certified since 1999 I haven't taken yet step 3.
when I got ECFMG certified CSA didn't exist. I have 2 years of post graduation training including one year of Internship.
I was told I have to take CSA before I can take step 3 now. Is that true?????????????

Members don't see this ad.

yes, it's true. a resident in my program had the same scenario. you can't avoid the csa now. most states have a 7 year mark for passing all steps. some have a 10 year period. there are very few states that have no time limits. i have heard that one can get around the red tape once one is licensed in a state. just get these exams done now. good luck.

I am ECFMG certified since 1999 I haven't taken yet step 3.
when I got ECFMG certified CSA didn't exist. I have 2 years of post graduation training including one year of Internship.
I was told I have to take CSA before I can take step 3 now. Is that true?????????????

Sadly, this is true. "A rose by any other name....". Even if the exam is the same, the "powers that be" want your money. Just sign up for the CS exam quickly. I thought last summer (once the shock wore off that I had another exam to take), that I'd study for it for two months, then take it -- that oftentimes is just not possible. There are only five sites, if I remember correctly, and looking for an open slot at all of them is like looking for an airline seat. It's the pits. It took me a full seven months to find a spot (truth be told I found one four weeks earlier, but at that point it didn't make a difference, and I decided to avoid an additional $300+ in airfare and waited the month to take it in Philly, where I could drive down).

HURRY!!!!!! The limited spots fill quickly.