Do I really need 1 year of physics and ochem for mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booboo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do i really need to take 1 year of physics and 1 year of ochem for chem? Can i just take 2 quarters of physics and ochem and take the MCAT? please advise. thanks in advance :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'll assume that you're at a UC or Dartmouth, two major schools that use the quarter system. Two quarters of physics will NOT be enough - the third quarter of physics contains vital MCAT information. As far as OChem, I don't really think that the third quarter will be necessary. At UCSD, the nuts-and-bolts of OChem are covered in the first two quarters, and applications of OChem in biological systems (proteins, carbs, etc.) is covered in the third quarter. So just make sure you understand the concepts of the first two quarters, and read a prep book to cover the additional material from the third quarter.

currently i am attending calpoly pomona..hehe..thanks for your input, i will just try to finish them both before i take my mcat. Its just taking bio, chem, physics together is putting too much load on me. well lecture part is okay , its just labs. they just waste my time running back and both and i get tired fast..lol. thats why i was planning to take take only 2 classes instead of 3 but since i need them for MCAT, i guess i will just suck it up and try to finish them all. thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
SanDiegoSOD said:
I'll assume that you're at a UC or Dartmouth, two major schools that use the quarter system. Two quarters of physics will NOT be enough - the third quarter of physics contains vital MCAT information. As far as OChem, I don't really think that the third quarter will be necessary. At UCSD, the nuts-and-bolts of OChem are covered in the first two quarters, and applications of OChem in biological systems (proteins, carbs, etc.) is covered in the third quarter. So just make sure you understand the concepts of the first two quarters, and read a prep book to cover the additional material from the third quarter.

I agree here. The only thing I saw in all my practices from OCII was the Diels-Alder reaction. Make sure you know the theory behind it, cause low and behold, it was on the real thing. But since you'll now prepare for it, it won't be on your MCAT.

Going along with the OP's question...what if I haven't quite finished a full year of physics before the MCAT? I'll be a little more than halfway through the second semester, with just quantum and nuclear physics to go. I'm guessing a lot of that doesn't show up on the MCAT, but I wanted to ask just in case.

booboo said:
currently i am attending calpoly pomona..hehe..thanks for your input, i will just try to finish them both before i take my mcat. Its just taking bio, chem, physics together is putting too much load on me. well lecture part is okay , its just labs. they just waste my time running back and both and i get tired fast..lol. thats why i was planning to take take only 2 classes instead of 3 but since i need them for MCAT, i guess i will just suck it up and try to finish them all. thanks again.

BooBoo im also stressed that i will not be ready when MCAT starts since i still have to take 2 ochems and 2 physics and 1 bio with 1 year to go. I go to Cal state FULLERTON... . GO TITANS U ROCK.... Im a freshman so thats why i still have so much stuff to take.... and yea since i got an older brother i was able to stop my temptations and take an easy school even tho im Well qualified for a ucla or uscd.. 1480 SAT .... So just cuz im at a Cal state dont make me dumb.... So far so good tho in my year... this year is hard since they going by the +/- system. But anyways, do u guys have a way of studying for verbal or writing... Ive been using GMAT tests for verbal sounds stupid i kno but they have alot of good practice questions. and reading.....

booboo said:
do i really need to take 1 year of physics and 1 year of ochem for chem? Can i just take 2 quarters of physics and ochem and take the MCAT? please advise. thanks in advance :D

It can be done, as long as you study the material on your own.

At my undergrad, most have completed ochem, but are still in the second semester of phys when the mcat comes around.

Writer1985 said:
Going along with the OP's question...what if I haven't quite finished a full year of physics before the MCAT? I'll be a little more than halfway through the second semester, with just quantum and nuclear physics to go. I'm guessing a lot of that doesn't show up on the MCAT, but I wanted to ask just in case.

Nuclear could very well show up, and if you don't know it it will kick your a$$. We had a truly hideous many-question passage on my MCAT about nuclear physics and subatomic particles. You can teach it to yourself if you like, but you better know it. You need to know basic quantum only to the extent that you understand what the quantum numbers mean; no other conceptual issues around quantum.

Writer1985 said:
if you're applying for Fall 2006, I'd take the April 05 MCAT instead of the August 05 MCAT if at all possible, but normally, I would advise someone to have FINISHED all their pre-med courses before taking the MCAT, but it's certainly been done while courses are in progress. I was completely done with all of mine.

StressedPsycho said:
BooBoo im also stressed that i will not be ready when MCAT starts since i still have to take 2 ochems and 2 physics and 1 bio with 1 year to go. I go to Cal state FULLERTON... . GO TITANS U ROCK.... Im a freshman so thats why i still have so much stuff to take.... and yea since i got an older brother i was able to stop my temptations and take an easy school even tho im Well qualified for a ucla or uscd.. 1480 SAT .... So just cuz im at a Cal state dont make me dumb.... So far so good tho in my year... this year is hard since they going by the +/- system. But anyways, do u guys have a way of studying for verbal or writing... Ive been using GMAT tests for verbal sounds stupid i kno but they have alot of good practice questions. and reading.....

Good for u