Do I really need to do research this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnase

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I see all these threads on summer research programs floating around. I guess I could apply and might get accepted into at least one, but my question is, do I really need to do summer research? I did research last summer and was planning on picking it up again next year instead.

What are some other things I can do with my time? Would volunteering be looked down upon because it is not some 'selective' program? Does anybody have suggestions on what I might consider doing? Could I pursue my non-medicine-related interests (travel, language-learning...) or would that make medical schools doubt my interest in health/medicine?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

If research is not your passion, don't do it just because, especially considering you already have some experience with it.

If you want to travel, sign up for one of the programs that go to countries like Haiti, South America, etc. You will get plenty of cultural exposure, travel, language...if you pick the program wisely, you might even do something medicine related...at least observe/shadow at the local hospital.

Medical schools look very favorably upon such experiences.

Try to get a good letter of recommendation - doc at the local hospital, program supervisor, etc.

So I see all these threads on summer research programs floating around. I guess I could apply and might get accepted into at least one, but my question is, do I really need to do summer research? I did research last summer and was planning on picking it up again next year instead.

What are some other things I can do with my time? Would volunteering be looked down upon because it is not some 'selective' program? Does anybody have suggestions on what I might consider doing? Could I pursue my non-medicine-related interests (travel, language-learning...) or would that make medical schools doubt my interest in health/medicine?

Thanks for your help.

Do what you are most interested in. You only live once.

Volunteering would not be looked down upon. And non-medical interests make you a real-live person which will give you some identity on your applications.

I guess it really boils down to this: if your numbers are good then work on your interests and identity. If you are worried about your numbers, a successful summer in research could only help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like research a lot, but I've been doing research for the past 3 or 4 years, and sort of want to take a break. I just don't know what else I could do...

I like research a lot, but I've been doing research for the past 3 or 4 years, and sort of want to take a break. I just don't know what else I could do...

Go abroad, travel, but still try to tie it to some sort of social service. Tutoring/volunteering/shadowing is all good.

What she^ said.

Don't get in the habit of jumping through hoops just because you can. Trust me, there will always be more hoops to jump through. And, as you get further along, they will be higher off the ground, closer together, and may be flaming.

Do something that makes you interesting to talk to. Would you want to talk to you about another boring, meaningless summer research job? How about traveling to Europe or hiking across a glacier? Which sounds more interesting?

Do something cool and fun while you still can. It will give the ADCOMs something to remember you by... they have plenty of applicants with fluffed-up applications who don't get in.

What she^ said.

Don't get in the habit of jumping through hoops just because you can. Trust me, there will always be more hoops to jump through. And, as you get further along, they will be higher off the ground, closer together, and may be flaming.

Do something that makes you interesting to talk to. Would you want to talk to you about another boring, meaningless summer research job? How about traveling to Europe or hiking across a glacier? Which sounds more interesting?

Do something cool and fun while you still can. It will give the ADCOMs something to remember you by... they have plenty of applicants with fluffed-up applications who don't get in.

Excellent advice

Do what I do. I'm going to research the effects of ethyl alcohol consumption on call of duty performance.

Do what I do. I'm going to research the effects of ethyl alcohol consumption on call of duty performance.

Thats already been pubslished in nature dude, get with the program....:rolleyes:

There is some excellent advice in this thread BUT

I am a newbie and was wondering how do you guys look for these programs to apply to?

This will be the first summer I don't take classes in and maybe someone can point me in the right direction :)

There is some excellent advice in this thread BUT

I am a newbie and was wondering how do you guys look for these programs to apply to?

This will be the first summer I don't take classes in and maybe someone can point me in the right direction :)

What kinds? The research or nonresearch ones?

A good place for the non-research ones is with your school. My school sponsors several trips around the world for various volunteer purposes and it's often easy to become a part of these.

If you want to do some of the other more bizarre stuff like climbing a mountain and such, the internet is often a best place to start if you don't have any personal contacts. However, volunteering in your own community can often be a great way to spend the summer and doesn't require extravagant contacts