Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDApplicant08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PsyDapplicant2008 -

It certainly sounds like you've worked very hard to turn things around, and you've got some great experience. Still, it may be that your GPA is a tad low for competitive phd and psyd programs. Still, if your GREs and recommendations are strong, who knows? One option might be to apply to some master's level programs as well as doctoral programs. You might be someone who'd be even more competitive after getting your master's in clinical psych, especially since you seem to be on an upward trend!:)

best of luck to you!

psychmama

3.56 from your current unversity is only part of the picture. any phd/psyd prgram will request all your transcripts from all your schools and get an overall GPA for all your schools combined. i woudl be honest with yourself and look at that number. the i would then compare that actual GPA that (which i am estimating to be around 2.5: 90 credit hours at 2.0 and 30 credit hours at 4.0) and compare your real overall GPA to those posted in the APA book.

3.0 is generally the cut off score, and applications below that are not looked at for psyd or phd. despite any expereince.

i do not know how you can fix this.

Members don't see this ad :)
PsyDapplicant2008 -

It certainly sounds like you've worked very hard to turn things around, and you've got some great experience. Still, it may be that your GPA is a tad low for competitive phd and psyd programs. Still, if your GREs and recommendations are strong, who knows? One option might be to apply to some master's level programs as well as doctoral programs. You might be someone who'd be even more competitive after getting your master's in clinical psych, especially since you seem to be on an upward trend!:)

best of luck to you!

psychmama

Thanks, I have. I'm also applying to my school's master's program as a safety just in case. If I find that a master's is what I will need to overcome the hurdle, then I'm definitely open to it. It's just not my first choice. Thanks for the advice!

do your best to kick butt on the gre. your gpa is only a bit low -- it's not like it's a 3.2 or anything, so try to get the gre score of the top student you feel you are. there's only so much you can do to improve your gpa at this point, but the gre is a chance to greatly increase your competitiveness!

Like everyone else said, I definitely think you have a chance! You have worked really hard to work your way up. I attended C.W. Post for my Masters, but it was only for one semester, and then I moved to Philly and completed it at another school. I don't know much about the doctoral program there. I do think it is great that you have an open mind and you are not stuck on the "best" schools. There are some really great programs out there.

Thanks, I really hope you're right. I guess the best I can do is try my best. Thanks so much for opinion!