Do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiyer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my GPA is 3.7 but science gpa is 2.49. I graduated from college this may and I am applying to medical school now. So i got a 16 on my MCATS I wish to apply t DO schools. What is the general deadline to apply and how bad is it if you apply late like in late September or early October?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm going to be completely honest here. No, you do not have a chance.

A 2.49 science GPA, a 16 MCAT. Either of these would be enough to kill your application by itself, but put the two together and it's more than a death sentence. And if you're still working on your AMCAS, you are rather late to the game. Applying early makes a big difference in the application process, and applying this late in season is strike three. (Although your other two strikes were so bad that this is really more like strike ten.)

You need to retake the MCAT and get 30+. You need to enroll in a postbac program and get a 3.7+ science GPA in that program. You need to apply again next year and submit your primary application no later than June 20th and your secondary applications no later than August 15th. It's a lot to ask for, but it is the only way that you will be able to get into medical school.

PS: The number of people that get into medical school each year with MCAT scores of 16 or lower is less than ten. And this is out of some forty thousand matriculants per year.

Last edited:
Strongly concur with this post. Right now you are wasting both time and money. You need to do some serious grade repair first, and only then work on the MCAT.

Also, you need to make better choices. Taking a career-defining, high stakes exam with little prep, and not getting any sleep the night before tells me that you have a long road ahead ahead of you.

I'm going to be completely honest here. No, you do not have a chance.

A 2.49 science GPA, a 16 MCAT. Aither of these would be enough to kill your application by itself, but put the two together and it's more than a death sentence. And if you're still working on your AMCAS, you are rather late to the game. Applying early makes a big difference in the application process, and applying this late in season is strike three. (Although your other two strikes were so bad, this is really more like strike ten.)

You need to retake the MCAT and get 30+. You need to enroll in a postbac program and get a 3.7+ science GPA in that program. You need to apply again next year and submit your primary application no later than June 20th and your secondary applications no later than August 15th. It's a lot to ask for, but it is the only way that you will be able to get into medical school.

PS: The number of people that get into medical school each year with MCAT scores of 16 or lower is less than ten. And this is out of some forty thousand matriculants per year.