Do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toomanymistakes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a semester at a small, private liberal arts college, I decided I wanted to become a doctor. I took the cheaper route and transferred to my local community college. I will be graduating in the spring.

Now that I am ready to apply to pre-medical, biology programs, I'm fearful of my chances of getting accepted. My community college does not offer General Biology I, General Chemistry I, or General Physics I in the spring semester, so when I transferred I was unable to take any of those courses. Classes filled quickly this fall and I was only able to register for General Biology I. Next semester I will be taking General Biology II at my community college, and General Chemistry I at another community college a little out of my way.

When I transfer to a 4-year institution, I'll be entering as a junior. Despite my very high GPA, I am worried about my prospects of getting accepted with only General Biology I & II, and General Chemistry I.

Members don't see this ad.

Many would feel that you're better off taking more prerequisites at a 4-year school due to the perceived increase in course rigor, which prepares you better to take the MCAT. You might need to meet with one of the academic counselors to be sure you fulfil the minimum requirements for transfer. And if not, maybe stay at the CC for another term. Or start at the four-year with summer school catch-up classes.