Do I still have CA residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question has been bothering me: I will be working at the NIH after graduation for a year while applying to med school at the same time. Do I lose my CA residency status for the purpose of med school admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

This question has been bothering me: I will be working at the NIH after graduation for a year while applying to med school at the same time. Do I lose my CA residency status for the purpose of med school admissions?

do you have a permanent residence in CA (ie. your parents' house)

edit// wait that might not work. nevermind. you might need some sort of paystub from CA within a certain amount of time, but I don't think renting in another state for a year is enough so long as you haven't registered to vote in another state and you still have a CA DL....

do you have a permanent residence in CA (ie. your parents' house)

edit// wait that might not work. nevermind. you might need some sort of paystub from CA within a certain amount of time, but I don't think renting in another state for a year is enough so long as you haven't registered to vote in another state and you still have a CA DL....

1. Permenant residence/parents house in CA-yes
2. CA DL-yes
3. I'm a PR so I'm not registered to vote in any state

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation for the UWSOM (WA resident, school in California but never established residency, doing research after graduation). For residency classification, I had to submit information for the previous year. Therefore, at the time of application I was indeed a resident because I was in school for the previous year and a dependent. I would imagine most schools would care what your status is at the moment, and not what you will be (because that can change easily). I believe you are OK, but the only risk would be if you had to reapply because then at the time of your application you would possibly have a different status.

I'd say yes. Having gone through a bunch of state classification issues, one of the most important things is where you graduated from high school. If in California, I'd say you're still a Cali resident. They won't question it too much when you put it on your application. It's understandable to be out of the state for a year.

Thanks for the info guys. I did go to HS in CA. My parents still live there. I am claimed as a dependent.

I would love to go to med school in California so, hopefully, I won't have to reapply :scared:

Thanks for the info guys. I did go to HS in CA. My parents still live there. I am claimed as a dependent.

I would love to go to med school in California so, hopefully, I won't have to reapply :scared:

just apply to CA schools. In retrospect that's what I should have done.

YES, you do. I did the same thing--(was born and raised in CA), attended college on the east coast, and worked at the NIH as a post-bac pre-IRTA for about two years. I was accepted at a couple of the UCs and absolutely qualified for in-state tuition, etc. Non-residency never came up as an issue, although I was certainly freaking out about it at the start of the process as well.

Here's what I gathered from speaking to a few of the UC admissions offices when I began my application year:

You qualify as a CA resident if you:
1) Still have a CA-based bank account
2) Your parents still live in CA
3) Have a CA drivers license, are a registered voter in CA, file your taxes in CA

The more of the above conditions you can satisfy, the better off you are. I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!!

If your parents claim you as a dependent and you don't file your taxes independently (in another state), you'll still be a CA resident. Need valid DL as well to prove your residence.

YES, you do. I did the same thing--(was born and raised in CA), attended college on the east coast, and worked at the NIH as a post-bac pre-IRTA for about two years. I was accepted at a couple of the UCs and absolutely qualified for in-state tuition, etc. Non-residency never came up as an issue, although I was certainly freaking out about it at the start of the process as well.

Here's what I gathered from speaking to a few of the UC admissions offices when I began my application year:

You qualify as a CA resident if you:
1) Still have a CA-based bank account
2) Your parents still live in CA
3) Have a CA drivers license, are a registered voter in CA, file your taxes in CA

The more of the above conditions you can satisfy, the better off you are. I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!!

Yeah..I decided to file Ca state taxes in addition to Pa state taxes this year just to make sure