Do I still need to raise my GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluepeach9

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying next cycle…

My AMCAS cGPA will be 3.84 and sGPA will be 3.74. If AMCAS accepts my Brain and Behaviour + Physiological PSYC classes as BCPM, my sGPA will increase to 3.76.

I am set to graduate in two weeks with honors and a 3.9+ GPA from my state university. As of now, I really don't have a reason to graduate a semester early other than I really want to and don't see a point in paying more money for more undergrad classes.

However, do you guys think it would benefit me to raise my GPA and take more science classes next spring? Should I postpone graduation? Should I take non-degree courses? Is this all necessary for me?

Or should I forget about more coursework and GPA stuff and focus on extra-curriculars, putting together a good app, and scoring high on the MCAT?? FYI, I'd like to stand a chance at some of the mid and top tiers despite my average-ranked university!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is fine; while you can raise your sGPA, it is probably at the point of diminishing return.
You can and should focus on the MCAT and everything else.

Your GPA is fine. Go ahead and graduate...study for the MCAT like crazy and get in some quality ECs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, you're golden in the GPA department.

Now ace the MCAT!

I am applying next cycle…

My AMCAS cGPA will be 3.84 and sGPA will be 3.74. If AMCAS accepts my Brain and Behaviour + Physiological PSYC classes as BCPM, my sGPA will increase to 3.76.

I am set to graduate in two weeks with honors and a 3.9+ GPA from my state university. As of now, I really don't have a reason to graduate a semester early other than I really want to and don't see a point in paying more money for more undergrad classes.

However, do you guys think it would benefit me to raise my GPA and take more science classes next spring? Should I postpone graduation? Should I take non-degree courses? Is this all necessary for me?

Or should I forget about more coursework and GPA stuff and focus on extra-curriculars, putting together a good app, and scoring high on the MCAT?? FYI, I'd like to stand a chance at some of the mid and top tiers despite my average-ranked university!

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA is fine; while you can raise your sGPA, it is probably at the point of diminishing return.
You can and should focus on the MCAT and everything else.

Your GPA is fine. Go ahead and graduate...study for the MCAT like crazy and get in some quality ECs

Nope, you're golden in the GPA department.

Now ace the MCAT!

So I'm good for top 20s with this sGPA of 3.74? If my MCAT is a 517-520 range?

If you do not get into a top 20, it will not be because of your sGPA. Make sure your application is well-rounded in other aspects (personal statement, ECs, LORs, MCAT, etc.)

Reactions: 1 users

If those were the only things that mattered. Take the MCAT, then tell us your ECs. Or tell us your ECs now.

If those were the only things that mattered. Take the MCAT, then tell us your ECs. Or tell us your ECs now.

I'll probably have to post a WAMC thread soon but my EC's include the usual activities:
~450 clinical volunteering hours (including ~200 shadowing) - This includes hospice and scribing
~300 non-clinical volunteering hours - This includes Habitat, volunteer tutoring, and volunteering with the disabled
~1500 research hours - This includes a national and oral presentation, plus multiple posters - both clinical and lab bench research for which I received several grants for funding (no pubs :( but first-author abstract submission if that counts for anything)
~600 hours TAing and private tutoring
and I also have some leadership, although not substantive

My LORs are strong and I think I can write and speak well about my experiences. What do you think? Also I would really appreciate if you didn't quote this message! just for privacy reasons :)

I'll probably have to post a WAMC thread soon but my EC's include the usual activities:
~450 clinical volunteering hours (including ~200 shadowing) - This includes hospice and scribing
~300 non-clinical volunteering hours - This includes Habitat, volunteer tutoring, and volunteering with the disabled
~1500 research hours - This includes a national and oral presentation, plus multiple posters - both clinical and lab bench research for which I received several grants for funding (no pubs :( but first-author abstract submission if that counts for anything)
~600 hours TAing and private tutoring
and I also have some leadership, although not substantive

My LORs are strong and I think I can write and speak well about my experiences. What do you think? Also I would really appreciate if you didn't quote this message! just for privacy reasons :)

Your ECs are good, but it seems like the top 20s are a crap shoot ad look for something very unique. Don't be so discouraged, you (probably) will become a doctor.