Do I submit app now to verify then add schools after viewing my MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just took MCAT yesterday. Not 100% sure about score. Want to stay in L.A. 10 yrs clinical work experience, 4 years clinical under-served volunteer experience, Spanish-speaker, single dad, post-bacc, 3.7 GPA. Do I submit to one school I'd never go to, so that my application is verified, then if I like my score, do I submit to those schools to which I'm really going to apply? Will my submitting now to all of the schools to which I really want to apply help me in any way, even without an MCAT score? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Just took MCAT yesterday. Not 100% sure about score. Want to stay in L.A. 10 yrs clinical work experience, 4 years clinical under-served volunteer experience, Spanish-speaker, single dad, post-bacc, 3.7 GPA. Do I submit to one school I'd never go to, so that my application is verified, then if I like my score, do I submit to those schools to which I'm really going to apply? Will my submitting now to all of the schools to which I really want to apply help me in any way, even without an MCAT score? Thank you.
Heh, I wouldn't submit to a school you'd NEVER go to. Why would you even apply to such a school? Submit to one lower on your list with less competitive stats.

You're looking at 3-4 weeks (up to 6 weeks) to get verified right now so if you wait for your MCAT score then you won't be verified until September

Will my submitting now to all of the schools to which I really want to apply help me in any way, even without an MCAT score? Thank you.
If you submit to a large number of schools now and have an MCAT score much lower or much higher than anticipated, it would change your application strategy and cost more application dollars to shift your focus. OTOH, if you happened to apply to the perfect range of schools for your MCAT score, you could be far ahead in pre-writing all your Secondary essays so your turn-around time when officially invited was very fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd apply to the lower MCAT range of your schools...

Say you have 10 schools... apply to 4 or 5 of them with lower MCAT medians.

Then when you get your rocking score.. apply to more :)

Good luck!! :luck:

i totally get what you guys are saying...

when an applicant submits for verification, that regards aamcas.

however, does that also regard the specific schools to which one wants to apply?

from what i hear, people can submit to just one school, and that even though it might be 30 days later, them submitting to any other school at that later time holds NO disadvantage to the applicant, as submitting on day 30 is the same as submitting on day 1, since the application is still being verified.

or, does submitting, on any day, regardless of release of mcat score, and regardless of verification, put one "higher up" in the official application submissions?

thanks.

1) from what i hear, people can submit to just one school, and that even though it might be 30 days later, them submitting to any other school at that later time holds NO disadvantage to the applicant, as submitting on day 30 is the same as submitting on day 1, since the application is still being verified.

2) or, does submitting, on any day, regardless of release of mcat score, and regardless of verification, put one "higher up" in the official application submissions?

thanks.
1) This is correct.

2) The day you submit and the date you are verified (processed) is at the top of page 1 of the AMCAS application that schools receive. If you add additional schools prior to verification, it does not change your place in the "queue" for verification. The MCAT date appears on a later page and so is unlikely to have anything to do with how your application is ordered.

thank you so much for spelling that out...

1) This is correct.

2) The day you submit and the date you are verified (processed) is at the top of page 1 of the AMCAS application that schools receive. If you add additional schools prior to verification, it does not change your place in the "queue" for verification. The MCAT date appears on a later page and so is unlikely to have anything to do with how your application is ordered.