Do I want to be a NC or a CA resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidthor

meep
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my problem - I'm originally from CA and would prefer to go to med school in CA, but I'm worried about the fact that CA med school admissions is a big crapshot. I'm currently in NC for law school and can probably claim in state status in NC or CA (since I pay income tax in both, etc). So how much harder would it be to get into any southern CA UC school (UCI, UCSD, UCLA) than it would be to get into UNC? Here's my mdapps: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=05867 and for a quick summary, I have a 3.4/35. Would I be a fool to try my luck at med school admissions as a CA resident when I can work NC resident status?

Members don't see this ad.

formally, you could use in-state acceptance rates to caculate a probability of getting into *any* uc and compare that to the unc acceptance rate.

it seems like you will have a better shot at quality if you go for unc. ucsf may be higher ranked (whatever that means to you), but unc should be an easier in-state acceptance. personally, i would go for unc for that and the following reasons: unc med has very cheap tuition, unc med is well-regarded, and chapel hill is a very nice place with lower cost-of-living than many places in ca.

Your GPA is a little below the norm for UC matriculation but your MCAT is a little high. You have a good shot of getting into a UC as an instate. You'd be particularly competitive at UCI, if you want to go SoCal.

You'd have an easier time getting in as an instate in NC, though.

Sooooo... it's up to you. If you want to take it more safe, apply as NC. If you prefer the UC system, apply as Cal, but know you're taking a risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be an in-state resident for NC schools (well, UNC at least), you need to apply and have most things like a drivers license, residence, voter registration, car registration, and basically all of that stuff in NC for a whole year before you're considered in-state. I'd make sure that I could meet all those requirements before giving away my CA residency.

I'm a Cali resident and I had 3.5/36. Didn't get interviews at any Cali schools even though I applied to every one...public and private. So if you want to use a sample size of one to make your decision, go with the NC state residency but still apply to Cali schools.

You're right, it is a crapshot.

What's more important to you? A California medical school, or just any medical school? If you have your heart set at UCI, then go with CA residency. If you want to increase your chances of becoming a doctor, then go with NC residency. Before you decide though, make absolutely certain that you meet both residency requirements. I had a friend who was a MA resident but then found out that all the UMass med schools considered her an OOS applicant.

One last thing. If you do decide on NC residency, I wouldn't bother applying to any of the UC schools. In this scenario, you'd have a better shot at Stanford.

CTtarheel said:
To be an in-state resident for NC schools (well, UNC at least), you need to apply and have most things like a drivers license, residence, voter registration, car registration, and basically all of that stuff in NC for a whole year before you're considered in-state. I'd make sure that I could meet all those requirements before giving away my CA residency.

Not only that, but you have to have a non-temporary residence for a whole year. Meaning, of course, you have to prove to them that you're intending to make NC your home and not just renting an apartment for school purposes. (I'm going on my third year in NC for my PhD and I'm still out of state.)

CTtarheel said:

Yeah I've pretty much done all of that actually - unfortunately the UNC med school admissions people don't want to give me a straight answer on whether I'm in state or not, but I think I should be set!

kidthor, I think you have an amazing application. You're quite a unique candidate; with your law degree and interesting activities (+ high MCAT and decent GPA), I personally think you would be selling yourself short if you did not apply as an in-state California resident. If you're worried about getting into medical school, I am sure you will get in somewhere (and considering that you applied to over 20 schools it seems), I do not hesitate to say that you WILL get accepted somewhere. But, if I were you, I'd go with the better schools (UCSF and UCLA count) and give it a go. Plus, UC's really like unique candidates with interesting backgrounds... and you seem to qualify. I say, go for CA, since that where your heart seems to be, and let the chips fall where they may.

it seems like everyone on this post thinks getting into unc is easier compared to cali schools. While that may be probably true I can certainly say that getting into unc is no joke. I had 3.85 gpa from unc u'grad in biochem and 31 MCAT w/ slightly better ec's than the op and got waitlisted at all nc schools and didn't get into any and ended up attending a private out of state school. That being said i think unc likes non-trads and are interested in other things besides just stats. If you have no ties to eastern nc then forget about getting into ECU and both wake and duke are private so IMO you might have a better shot of getting into a UC public school since there are so many of them. You can always also apply unc as an OOS but ur chances that way are significantly lower than instate.

ablumoon said:
kidthor, I think you have an amazing application. You're quite a unique candidate; with your law degree and interesting activities (+ high MCAT and decent GPA), I personally think you would be selling yourself short if you did not apply as an in-state California resident. If you're worried about getting into medical school, I am sure you will get in somewhere (and considering that you applied to over 20 schools it seems), I do not hesitate to say that you WILL get accepted somewhere. But, if I were you, I'd go with the better schools (UCSF and UCLA count) and give it a go. Plus, UC's really like unique candidates with interesting backgrounds... and you seem to qualify. I say, go for CA, since that where your heart seems to be, and let the chips fall where they may.

I second this.

You have an above-average MCAT score, a decent GPA (esp. since its engineering) and you have a law degree which makes you really unique.

Since you would prefer to go to CA for med school and you have a decent shot of getting into a UC, then I say go for it.

Nevertheless, be sure to apply across the board just in case.

Best of luck,
-Dr. P.

it depends how much you value being in california vs. being at a better-ranked school. imo you shouldn't worry about the latter, but i've stated other reasons why i think unc is a good deal. look up cost-of-living and tuition estimates. unc is a great value:

2006-2007 School of Medicine Cost of Education
Tuition/Fees First Year Second Year Third Year Fourth Year
NC Resident $ 11,420 $11,743 $12,111 $11,743
Non-resident $35,086 $35,409 $35,777 $35,409
Room/Board $13,381 $15,534 $15,864 $13,881
Books/Supplies $ 1,570 $ 1,570 $ 1,570 $ 1,570
Travel $ 1,575 $1,763 $1,800 $1,575
Miscellaneous $9,471 $7,555 $5,885 $8,265
Total Budget
NC Resident $37,417 $38,165 $37,230 $37,034

i envy your state of residence.

Thanks for all the comments and words of encouragement everyone. I submitted my AMCAS yesterday and decided to go with CA residency since I was a bit worried about UNC not deeming me a resident and because I'd rather be in CA.

kidthor said:
Thanks for all the comments and words of encouragement everyone. I submitted my AMCAS yesterday and decided to go with CA residency since I was a bit worried about UNC not deeming me a resident and because I'd rather be in CA.

Good luck! :luck: