Do international students have a better chance at mid-tier MD/PhD than just MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international student considering applying both MD and MD/PhD. Given that I'm an international student, the schools that I am able to apply to are, for the most part, very competitive. I applied MD only once 2 cycles ago and didn't get in. I plan to apply to around ~45 schools and my idea is to apply MD/PhD for "lower" ranked schools that consider international students for MD/PhD like Emory, Baylor, Dartmouth, etc. (I know these are not low ranked schools but I mean in terms of the schools that look at international apps) and apply MD only for ultra competitive, top ranked schools like HMS, Yale, Columbia, etc. as well as less competitive schools that consider internationals for MD but not MD/PhD. I know I am not competitive for MD/PhD at the really top schools but is this a good idea for these more intermediate schools? My reasoning is that I would have a higher chance at MD/PhD rather than MD at those schools because then there would be no issue of the schools having to worry about how I am going to pay for tuition and such.

For context:
I have a relatively strong research background (3.5 years of experience over 2 labs. One 4th author publication, 2 on campus posters, 1 regional conference poster, 1 publication submitted under review) and relatively strong numbers (LizzyM ~74-75). 400+ hours of clinical volunteering spread over two activities, same for non-clinical. 100-200 hours of leadership at a school club, 400+ hours of tutoring over two activities. Strong LOR from one PI I currently work with. Can also get a letter from the head of the department I do research in.

Please tell me what you all think. Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion is to only apply/do the MD/PhD if that's what you actually want out of life. The MD/PhD pathway is not a way to "game" the application system. Having been on the opposite side of the interview table, it's fairly easy to spot those that are just there for a path to the MD vs. those that actually see both degrees as necessary.

In addition, not all MD/PhD programs will accept and/or fund international students.

Reactions: 1 users