DO Internship requirment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtongue_danger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can some body give me some information about osterpathic internship year. the AOA says to be board certified you have to complete an internship after your medical education. Can this internship count as your Residence. If not do you get payed? if so how much. is the internship oppistional? any infomation would help

Members don't see this ad.

I know that certain states have different requirements as well.

For example, the state that i live in, PA, requires a one year internship after medical school

drtongue_danger said:
can some body give me some information about osterpathic internship year. the AOA says to be board certified you have to complete an internship after your medical education. Can this internship count as your Residence. If not do you get payed? if so how much. is the internship oppistional? any infomation would help

1. To become licensed with the AOA you must do an internship year in addition to your residency. The pay is similar to residency.

2. If you do an AOA (DO) residency, it depends on the specialty. Some require the internship prior to residency, some have the internship year built into the program, but it is still an extra year. Other specialties count the internship year as the first year of the residency.

2. If you do an ACGME (MD) residency, you are not required to do that internship. You can be certified through ACGME solely with completion of the residency. However, you can not be certified through the AOA unless you have extenuating circumstances. As a result, you can not hold any position in the AOA, and you will not be able to practice in the 5 states that require AOA licensure for DO's.

3. Examples:

Emergency Medicine (AOA requires an extra year):
--> AOA = 1 year specialized (EM) internship, 3 years residency
--> ACGME = 3 years residency (no AOA certification unless you do an internship before you enter this program)

Orthopedic Surgery (both programs are the same length):
--> AOA = 1 year specialized (OS) internship, 4-5 years residency
--> ACGME = 5-6 years residency

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps somebody can help shed some light on this issue for me. I have heard from some physicians that technically you are licensed after your first year of residency. So in actuality you may treat a patient outside of the hospital after first year of residency without violating any laws? I know there may be issues with insurance coverage, but still it should not be against the law. Secondly I would like to know if anybody knows about an OMM residency. I know certain schools offer an OMM fellowship, but I want to know specifically about the residency. I'm not talking about PM&R, specifically OMM. Also, how long is this residency? Is it possible to graduate from osteopathic school and do a one year residency in OMM and then go into prive practice? Is this hypothetical scenario possible? I will be attending NYCOM in the fall and would ultimately just like to practice OMM, similar to how a chiropractor would practice... except without all of the insurance and license restrictions of a chiropractor. Thanks everyone.

skiiboy said:
Perhaps somebody can help shed some light on this issue for me. I have heard from some physicians that technically you are licensed after your first year of residency. So in actuality you may treat a patient outside of the hospital after first year of residency without violating any laws? I know there may be issues with insurance coverage, but still it should not be against the law. Secondly I would like to know if anybody knows about an OMM residency. I know certain schools offer an OMM fellowship, but I want to know specifically about the residency. I'm not talking about PM&R, specifically OMM. Also, how long is this residency? Is it possible to graduate from osteopathic school and do a one year residency in OMM and then go into prive practice? Is this hypothetical scenario possible? I will be attending NYCOM in the fall and would ultimately just like to practice OMM, similar to how a chiropractor would practice... except without all of the insurance and license restrictions of a chiropractor. Thanks everyone.

Yes, after your first year of internship (or residency if you are doing ACGME) you will have completed step 3 of your boards, and will be licensed to practice medicine. At this point, you may "moonlight" and pull some shifts outside of your residency work at other hospitals.

If you want to do OMM, you would do a residency in

Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine/Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (2 years)

or

Family Medicine/Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (3 years)

skypilot said:
Don't forget the dually accredited interships like this one at UMass medical

http://www.umassmed.edu/medicine/residency/osteopathic.cfm

Most DO's end up in ACGME residencies anyway so this may not end up being an issue for you.

1. You won't be able to practice in the 5 states that require AOA licensure unless you do the internship.

2. Obviously you won't be able to do a residency in OMM with the ACGME.

I apologize for the ignorance however I am not aware of what ACGME is? Also, if I were to choose to do the two year nms/omm residency, could I start to practice with a family member of mine after the 1st year? Thanks for all of the help. Also, based on the fact that so few osteopaths practice omm (1%), I would assume that matching into this residency would probably not be difficult. Am I correct on this assumption? Thanks

skiiboy said:
I apologize for the ignorance however I am not aware of what ACGME is?

ACGME is Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. This means allopathic residency program. Also take a look at this web site (I found it here yesterday) http://www.wvsom.edu/OPTI/GMEManual.pdf It talks about getting residency programs, and it clarified few things for me.

Do you know which states will not you practice medicine unless you complete the extra internship year...thanks.

OSUdoc08 said:
1. You won't be able to practice in the 5 states that require AOA licensure unless you do the internship.

2. Obviously you won't be able to do a residency in OMM with the ACGME.

robo77 said:
Do you know which states will not you practice medicine unless you complete the extra internship year...thanks.

FL, OK, PA, WV and MI.

skypilot said:
Don't forget the dually accredited interships like this one at UMass medical

http://www.umassmed.edu/medicine/residency/osteopathic.cfm

1. Anyone know of a link that has all of the dually accredited internships like this one???

2. Does anyone know if this type of internship fulfills the requirement of the Clinical Base Year (CBY) for anesthesiology PGY-1 programs like for WVU?

Here's an interesting question:

Say I wanted to be both AOA and ACGME certified, would it be possible to complete an AOA internship year and then match to a ACGME PGY 2-4 program?

Is this possible for EM?

Any feedback would be great!

Yes --

You can do AOA Internship then either:
1) track Osteo Residency program (as described above)

2) do allo PGY 1-3 pgm (this is what I'm doing)

3) do allo PGY 2-4 pgm

After this, you are eligible to sit for allo specialty boards (what I'm going to do). I don't know if we can also sit for osteo specialty boards or if we can only do that if residency is dually accredited.

Kat