Do interview questions tend to center around application, or are they general questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kipperwok

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the question is evident in the title, but I should clarify that I'm personally interested in one on one interviews (well my interview will have 2 interviewers, a faculty member and a current or former student) not group. Of course it might be interesting to hear about group interviews as well.

I'm interested in whether those of you who have had interviews already, or who have talked to those who have, got asked a lot of super specific questions about stuff on your application (essays, volunteering, GRE, GPA, etc) or whether it seemed like they had general questions in mind that they asked everyone, or was it a mix of the two. I know many of us are asked not to share details of our interviews, so feel free to keep your response general.

If you had an essay to write as part of the interview, my question is similar.

Thanks for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I've been on numerous interviews these past couple months for PT school. I can tell you that, they already read your application, and if they ask you any questions about it, they just want to clarify some things. For instance, they may ask to double check how many hours you have. But they never really ask you to reiterate anything from your application, just if something is missing or grade check or anything like that.

They usually ask general questions, like "Why PT?" "Why did you apply to this school?" "Why this program?" Some other questions I've gotten:
  • Talk about a time you failed
  • Describe your role model and why
  • What role does PT have in a patient's health
  • Describe your biggest accomplishment/what are you proud of?
  • Tell me about a time you saw something was wrong, and what you did to fix it
  • What would you do if you a patient didn't want to do what you told them
  • What would you do if a classmate sent you an email with last year's PT licensure exam
All of my interviews were really casual and laid back! They just want to get to know you as a person so be yourself! Make sure you think of questions to ask them! A lot of it is you trying to see if you fit into the school/if you like it!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there! I've been on numerous interviews these past couple months for PT school. I can tell you that, they already read your application, and if they ask you any questions about it, they just want to clarify some things. For instance, they may ask to double check how many hours you have. But they never really ask you to reiterate anything from your application, just if something is missing or grade check or anything like that.

They usually ask general questions, like "Why PT?" "Why did you apply to this school?" "Why this program?" Some other questions I've gotten:
  • Talk about a time you failed
  • Describe your role model and why
  • What role does PT have in a patient's health
  • Describe your biggest accomplishment/what are you proud of?
  • Tell me about a time you saw something was wrong, and what you did to fix it
  • What would you do if you a patient didn't want to do what you told them
  • What would you do if a classmate sent you an email with last year's PT licensure exam
All of my interviews were really casual and laid back! They just want to get to know you as a person so be yourself! Make sure you think of questions to ask them! A lot of it is you trying to see if you fit into the school/if you like it!

Thank you so much! There were some questions you listed I hadn’t considered so I’ll add them to my list! And no one asked you about obscure parts of human anatomy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! There were some questions you listed I hadn’t considered so I’ll add them to my list! And no one asked you about obscure parts of human anatomy?

Nope! I did get questions like, "What do you think the greatest challenge will be coming into PT school?" "Describe your leadership qualities." "What makes you unique?" And stuff like that.

There aren't any technical questions if that's what you're asking!

Reactions: 1 user
Most of the question is evident in the title, but I should clarify that I'm personally interested in one on one interviews (well my interview will have 2 interviewers, a faculty member and a current or former student) not group. Of course it might be interesting to hear about group interviews as well.

I'm interested in whether those of you who have had interviews already, or who have talked to those who have, got asked a lot of super specific questions about stuff on your application (essays, volunteering, GRE, GPA, etc) or whether it seemed like they had general questions in mind that they asked everyone, or was it a mix of the two. I know many of us are asked not to share details of our interviews, so feel free to keep your response general.

If you had an essay to write as part of the interview, my question is similar.

Thanks for any responses!
It depends on the school. Even then, my friend and I interviewed at the same school on the same day and her interview was centered around her application and essays where as mine was based on general questions. Just be prepared for both.

Reactions: 1 user