Do IPPE sites nicotine test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SClENCE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it depend on the location? For P1 I will be at several sites for 12-18 hours each... P2/P3 I will be at 3 sites per year for like 70 hours each site.

I don't know how much choice I have when it comes to the locations that I will go to but I do know that many hospitals in the area nicotine screen as a condition of employment so I was wondering if they would hold the students to this same standard.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question, I never had to drug test as a student (but I was a student many, many moons ago), but I've been drug tested at every job I've had. I would assume that you wouldn't be tested, because you technically aren't an employee of the hospital, you are an agent of the school, so I would think it would be the school policy if they were going to test people before sending them out to sites.

But plan on not being able to smoke while on hospital premises.

Didn't this topic come up very recently? I'm too lazy to do a search, but I remember something about it. The bottom line is it's not going to be a big deal. Tobacco use is legal. You may not be permitted to use onsite, but you will not be banned for private use.

Members don't see this ad :)
if a site disqualifies you for nicotine - there is some serious big brother crap going on there. I would be extremely surprised.

Didn't this topic come up very recently? I'm too lazy to do a search, but I remember something about it.

Yes, it did. The OP of that thread is also the OP of this thread.

The reality is that a person who uses nicotine is considered a social pariah these days, and being a smoker is not a protected class for purposes of employment discrimination. You can be fired - or not hired - in most states at will, and failing a drug test for a legal substance is legit (see also: not passing an alcohol test, or not passing a THC test in WA or CO.)

Talk to your IPPE site coordinator at your school. That person will tell you to just quit smoking, but they will probably be aware of what sites a nicotine addict might have the biggest problem at, and may have the ability to send you elsewhere. Unless they hate you, of course.

Reactions: 1 user