DO letter of rec question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyunicorn007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and am having a really difficult time finding physicians to shadow/get letters of recommendation from. Many of the schools I want to apply to require a letter from an MD/DO.
I reached out to one DO who is willing to meet with me (but no shadowing). Would it be inappropriate to explain my predicament and ask for a letter of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you ask him if he knows any DOs that will let you shadow? I was in a similar situation

I understand how you feel. I am in a similar situation and I have found that honesty is the best policy. If they know from the get-go and believe you to be honest and eager to learn medicine, it's less likely they'll just let you go without. Worst case scenario, they'll refer you to someone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you ask him if he knows any DOs that will let you shadow? I was in a similar situation
In my initial email I asked him if he knew any other physicians in the area that I might be able to shadow, but he didn't suggest anyone. I haven't met with him yet though so I can ask in person.

Try going on doctorsthatdo.org and search for DOs in your area and contact them (their office contact info are listed) and let them know you wanna shadow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I know is it hard to find a doctor to shadow. I currently volunteer in a hospital and ask the volunteer coordinator to arrange me a DO doctor to shadow and she said she will try to find one. Maybe you can get so luck if you go to your local hospital.

start with who you know. I shadowed a few doctors and it was always from a personal connection. Ask your close friends and family, your own doctors, and any doctor you work with if they'll let you shadow or know someone that will let you. I'm sure you know SOMEONE who knows a doctor who will help you.

I'm applying this cycle and am having a really difficult time finding physicians to shadow/get letters of recommendation from. Many of the schools I want to apply to require a letter from an MD/DO.
I reached out to one DO who is willing to meet with me (but no shadowing). Would it be inappropriate to explain my predicament and ask for a letter of recommendation?
Not inappropriate at all. Most if not all DOs , especially the younger ones, should know that most DO schools require a DO letter. Meet with the doctor and just be extra super professional when explaining your situation. Let them talk first to see if they bring up the LOR thing before you even have to ask. If you can't get a letter from him/her, expand your geographic search. I had to drive 45 minutes away to shadow someone. Try to find a younger DO active in his/her community. I found that they're the ones most likely to take on a shadow and write a letter.

You could do what I did and send out a bunch of emails/letters to DOs/MDs in my area. But your best bet is to reach out to a local "teaching" hospital if there is one nearby, especially if there is one with a residency program, as there will be plenty of young residents that are usually more than happy to let you shadow, offer advice, or write a letter for you. Thats what I did anyway.