Do looks play a role in admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't have anything against overweight people but unless they have some sort of genetic condition the thought that goes through my head would be "why would people trust this guy/girl to take care of them, when he cannot even manage to take care of himself?"

Members don't see this ad.

Well, looks matter in almost every other aspect of life, so why wouldn't that extend to med admissions?

Don't let it bother you too much (or excite you).

So if you are naturally ugly as opposed to naturally good looking/fit, does this mean you'll fail at life? Unless you get plastic surgery/take steroids?

Thankfully I'm not fat, but noone calls me hot, so by default I must be pretty uggo, since hot guys/girls get compliments from people 10-20x a day, which they probably love haha.

So if you are naturally ugly as opposed to naturally good looking/fit, does this mean you'll fail at life? Unless you get plastic surgery/take steroids?

Thankfully I'm not fat, but noone calls me hot, so by default I must be pretty uggo, since hot guys/girls get compliments from people 10-20x a day, which they probably love haha.

No, not getting special treatment (via the attractive card) doesn't equate to failing at life.

Concerning your second point, good news: the looks department aren't a dichotomy, rather a spectrum. So just because you don't get complimented for your looks doesn't mean that you're "pretty uggo" (although it might if you do, in fact, happen to be pretty uggo), more likely it means that you are perhaps just average a la the typical bell-curve distribution. Everyone isn't either a brad pitt or Quasimodo - likewise, everyone isn't a Jennifer Aniston or Rosy O'Donnell... Hey, being average (and not having heads turn when you walk by) is better than being uggo (and causing eyes to be shielded when you enter the room). ;)

PS: average guys don't get compliments, average girls on the other hand still get compliments (don't be fooled by this inequality across the sexes). Also, what type of school/surroundings do you have where people are "complimented for being hot" 10/20x per day? Sounds like high school or myspace...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No, not getting special treatment (via the attractive card) doesn't equate to failing at life.

Concerning your second point, good news: the looks department aren't a dichotomy, rather a spectrum. So just because you don't get complimented for your looks doesn't mean that you're "pretty uggo" (although it might if you do, in fact, happen to be pretty uggo), more likely it means that you are perhaps just average a la the typical bell-curve. Hey, being average and not having heads turn when you walk by is better than being uggo and causing eyes to be shielded. ;)

PS: average guys don't get compliments, average girls on the other hand still get compliments (don't be fooled by this inequality across the sexes). Also, what type of school/surroundings do you have where people are "complimented for being hot" 10/20x per day? Sounds like high school or myspace...

Average girls get compliments because there's average and less than average guys that want to have sex with them. It is what it is.

Fact: I have a female friend that can get a guy to buy her a drink without even talking to him. She's not THAT hot. But her eyes scream _ _ _ _ ME! Even though she would never.

I hope looks play a role. I'll be black, good looking, witty, and almost but not quite over prepared for the interview. Man I might just take it easy,show up with a 3.0, limited ECs and call it a day.

Average girls get compliments because there's average and less than average guys that want to have sex with them. It is what it is.

Fact: I have a female friend that can get a guy to buy her a drink without even talking to him. She's not THAT hot. But her eyes scream _ _ _ _ ME! Even though she would never.

For a pretty hilarious read, I recommend the ladder theory: http://www.laddertheory.com/

I hope looks play a role. I'll be black, good looking, witty, and almost but not quite over prepared for the interview. Man I might just take it easy,show up with a 3.0, limited ECs and call it a day.

Out of the characteristics you listed, you could only do/be particularly one of them and be successful in this process (even with the latter deficiencies).

I kid. Perhaps. :D

Since you can't change your height/looks, why not just do the best with what you have? Worry about the other things you can control.

Reactions: 1 user
you guys have to realize that there is more to life than being really, really...ridiculously good looking.

blue steel--:idea:

Pics or it didn't happen.

First image result I got,
HarvardMedStudents.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
[youtube]HA6nBS-KHEc[/youtube]

:thumbup:

Well, confidence is one of the factors that heavily influences how people perceive your looks. You will look more attractive to other people if you are confident and have a commanding presence. So, if you were not blessed with natural beauty :D act like you were anyway.

This is incredibly true. Also for women, it is ridiculously easy to move from say a 4 to an 8 with effort. You might never get to a 9, but losing weight + good hair cut + nice clothes + precise makeup will do wonders. A lot of guys deny this and tell me that so-and-so looks "naturally hot" and never wears makeup... And then I check the girl out and she very very obviously hits up the salon like twice a week and is an expert at skincare and subtle makeup. Taking care of yourself is a good investment :)

I hate girls who do this even though I've definitely been guilty of it quite a few times :/

First image result I got,

I hope none of them sees this but that scared me a little bit

i can have a 3.0 and 25 mcat, if i look like brad pitt, i can probably get in anywhere that gave me interviews

Lol at their undergrad schools. It's the Miami Heat of MD/PhD

With Alexander F. Bagley playing the role of LeBron.

Bagley,-Alex.jpg

"Not one [Nobel Prize in Medicine], not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven...."

Was one of his majors Gunnerism?

My definition of gunnerism is a high school student who already started shadowing, research, and practicing for the MCAT. Do you know anyone like that?

Last edited:
It looks like I'll be the only white chick in med school. I hope people like white chicks! :)

My definition of gunnerism is a high school student who already started shadowing, research, and practicing for the MCAT. Do you know anyone like that?

idk brah. Do u?

I offered you to be my fb friend :rolleyes:

Wat iz Facebook? :confused: I onlee have Xanga.

It looks like I'll be the only white chick in med school. I hope people like white chicks! :)

StudyShy, St. George's doesn't count as a med school.

(I know, I know. There are a bunch of white people at Caribbean med schools, but just play along with this terrible joke )

Where is that link to that face rater site? I'm sure it would go nicely in this thread

Don't worry, all US medical schools have almost 70-80% White students. You will fit right in. :smuggrin:

idk brah. Do u?

(I know, I know. There are a bunch of white people at Caribbean med schools, but just play along with this terrible joke )

You mean Georgetown, right. :laugh:

idk brah. Do u?

Jerk! StudyShy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>you

Nobody wants brain from a fugly neurologist. 'Nuff said.

Do doctors usually shop at big and tall stores?