Examples of office role leadership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meria

Reaction score
I held the secretary position at my honors club the last semester, but I dedicated only 40 hours as there was not much to do. I was wondering how other people would describe their leadership experiences, specifically in office roles at campus club organizations.

I only jotted meeting notes, did roosters, and other stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking in terms of describing this as an experience on your AMCAS app? If it was only 40 hours and you are struggling to describe it as significant leadership, then I would advise against this...

Ask yourself, will a committee member think that I will be a leader at their medical school because of how I took notes for 40 hours?

Reactions: 1 user
It may be that your role was limited and not worth including. However, I would think about your role broadly to make sure. As a secretary and an officer (I assume) did you facilitate or engage in strategic decision making, hold members accountable for fulfilling their duties, proactively engage with other board members to set up board meetings and make sure that all members were informed of what would be discussed and what actually ocurrred at each meeting, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like @rachapakis questions and I would add that you should ask yourself if you were engaged in leading peers toward a mutual goal or representing a group in a collaborative endeavor Examples I've seen have been along the lines of training and directing a group of students responsible for freshman move-in or for the hospitality tent at an alumni event. I also recall someone whose leadership role was interviewing and selecting a cook for a fraternity house. That would be a position of responsibility acting on behalf of a group which I consider leadership.

Reactions: 1 users
I like @rachapakis questions and I would add that you should ask yourself if you were engaged in leading peers toward a mutual goal or representing a group in a collaborative endeavor Examples I've seen have been along the lines of training and directing a group of students responsible for freshman move-in or for the hospitality tent at an alumni event. I also recall someone whose leadership role was interviewing and selecting a cook for a fraternity house. That would be a position of responsibility acting on behalf of a group which I consider leadership.
Thank you! I could think more about this. I did not have a huge impact in my role but I definitely done some of what you say.