DO LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zachdwphoto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick stats:
cGPA 3.44
sGPA 3.65
MCAT waiting....should be 27-30
scrub tech for 6 years
TA for freshman biology and general chemistry
Sunday school teacher and help in food pantry
shadowed primarily MD's...(just the way it worked out) plus all the years working as scrub
I have one MD LOR that should be stellar-I chose him because we have a great relationship
2 PhD LOR that are good (couple years of them knowing me)
I have worked with plenty of DO's I just don't know them as well.

My Question:
How important is it to have a DO LOR? I could get one if I needed but would probably get it from someone I shadowed. This would mean I would need to find one and shadow them. I could get DO surgeons I work with, but they are all orthopods and I don't have a strong relationship with them....even though I have worked with them for 6 years

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools require a DO LOR.

For those that don't not having one won't hurt, but having one helps.

Quick stats:
cGPA 3.44
sGPA 3.65
MCAT waiting....should be 27-30
scrub tech for 6 years
TA for freshman biology and general chemistry
Sunday school teacher and help in food pantry
shadowed primarily MD's...(just the way it worked out) plus all the years working as scrub
I have one MD LOR that should be stellar-I chose him because we have a great relationship
2 PhD LOR that are good (couple years of them knowing me)
I have worked with plenty of DO's I just don't know them as well.

My Question:
How important is it to have a DO LOR? I could get one if I needed but would probably get it from someone I shadowed. This would mean I would need to find one and shadow them. I could get DO surgeons I work with, but they are all orthopods and I don't have a strong relationship with them....even though I have worked with them for 6 years

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Because:

There are regions of the country where DOs are not common.
Not all DOs will write LORs
Some people have very good relationships with particular MDs and so will get good LORs out of them.

The context is that if you live in an area that's DO rish, and don't even try to meet a DO, that can hurt you.

How can not having one not hurt yet having one help?

Some schools require a DO LOR.

For those that don't not having one won't hurt, but having one helps.
Thanks GORO!! So, If a good opportunity presents itself...go for it. Otherwise don't worry about it....right?