DO match process: restrictive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

community

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all of you DO residents. I am currently considering attending an osteopathic school over an allopathic school and have been researching the available residency programs. It seems as though there aren't as many osteo programs (in OB/GYN) in the NY/NJ/DC/CT area as I would have hoped. Although the number of osteopathic residency programs in these areas are scarce, what is the likelihood that I would be able to match in an allopathic program? Would I be required to take the USMLE 1 for the allopathic match? Do you think that I should attend an allopathic school (over a DO school) if given the opportunity to increase my liklihood of placing in a residency program in these areas? In addition, if I was to try and match in both a DO and allopathic program, how does the process work? I would appreciate any info you can provide since I am clueless and just starting out in my medical career.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I matched in an EM allopathic program in NY. It is not one of the top 10, but I did not need the USMLE.

What you might want to do is check out the programs that you'd like to go to. Go to their(the residency program's) website, look at their resident section. See if there are any DO residents listed or listed among the alumni. Sometimes, their e-mail addresses are provided and you might ask them more specific questions. If you don't see any, don't be discouraged. E-mail or call the residency coordinator or director. Ask them how they feel about having DO residents in their programs.

The student that was my big sister (in the class ahead of me) matched in OB in a highly competitive program in NYC and I believe she told me that she did not take the USMLE, but she was in the top 10% of the class and had a very high score on the COMLEX.

I hope that I have at least provided you with somewhere to start. Good luck :cool: :cool: :cool: