DO match results 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another question:

Does a physician need to be fellowship trained to bill for OMT?

This i do know. They do not need to be fellowship trained. There is an increase in reimbursement if you are NMM formally trained, and you can more easily justify a higher billing code as well, but for the basic (1-2 areas or 3-5 areas) you can bill as soon as your out of any residency with a DO degree.

Members don't see this ad.

I shadowed a FP DO who performed OMT on his patients. His challenges were it doesn't pay that well, and billing/coding is a pain in the arse. But he does have plenty of repeat customers, which is always a plus. He gets his money from procedures in-house like vasectomies, etc. Another DO held a monopoly on home-care nurses who needed a doc to sign off on medication changes and other minutiae. He did very well for himself as well.

Our OMM faculty swear up and down by its ability to drastically increase the earnings in a practice....they regularly spout out detailed numbers about how much they earned in addition to what their base pay would have been without it. They said it especially increases your practice size if you need it because people hear by word of mouth that you do manipulation and people receiving the treatments rave about it. So, at least at this point, I'll take their word for it. I don't plan to do FM myself, but I could see where it would be VERY lucrative in a rural area where you will always have a full schedule with the of providers in the area and all that.

We also got a few slides in a recent lecture about how to code for it (something about tagging on "-25" at the end of codes lol)....apparently it's quite easy and that whole "coding by regions" treated thing is really where you end up upping your income.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've worked with a few FP docs that do OMM in addition to regular FP stuff and the ones I've worked with have said that while you can get extra money for treating patients and billing for OMM services that many times the insurance companies don't pay up for services. So It may have to do with what type of insurances pts have when you do some OMM treatments. Not all insurance carriers will pay for it. One FP doc says that she doesn't make allot of money but enough to support her family, but her husband who is a clinical pharm. D makes allot more than she does. And this is a doc who is seeing roughly 16-20 pts a day in the office in addition to rounding on her own pts in the hospital.

While many DO's may say that OMT nets them allot of money, I'm doubts until I see the reimbursement for it.

I just ran the numbers on a calculator and calculated that:

Incorporating an OMT for 10 pts/day 5 days/week 48 weeks/year at $35 will generate 84K of an additional income. How did you get $18K?

Regardless, I believe that OMM is one extra tool DO's must exploit to produce better financial outcomes.

That's quite ambitious, and you haven't factored in that you can see less patients per hour if you're doing OMT on more of them. In my FM office, my preceptor, who was one of the most OMT-heavy did maybe 2 a day on a good day. You also forget that when insurance covers something, they don't cover it 100%, maybe 80%. That means that 20% of the cost goes to patients. I saw it first hand that a patient who didn't ask for OMT, didn't necessarily want it, but didn't really want to argue against it was quite angry when they got the bill for it, even though it was just a few bucks. I can't generalize this to every practice, and I speculate a bit, but the practice of doing extra OMT that would be of questionable efficacy for your patients because you can and because you want to supplement your income could lead to some tension.

I 100% agree on the location issue. In choosing my residency, location was THE most important thing. Aside from more desirable locations in general, the ACGME match offers a degree of choice that the AOA match can't. Also, and I can't speak towards the ACGME programs at all, but what I've encountered in the DO world here, there's the sorta-creepy feeling of nepotism/cronyism here, and that it's some club that you're either in or you're out. Based on some of the personalities, I think I might rather be out.

That's quite ambitious, and you haven't factored in that you can see less patients per hour if you're doing OMT on more of them. In my FM office, my preceptor, who was one of the most OMT-heavy did maybe 2 a day on a good day. You also forget that when insurance covers something, they don't cover it 100%, maybe 80%. That means that 20% of the cost goes to patients. I saw it first hand that a patient who didn't ask for OMT, didn't necessarily want it, but didn't really want to argue against it was quite angry when they got the bill for it, even though it was just a few bucks. I can't generalize this to every practice, and I speculate a bit, but the practice of doing extra OMT that would be of questionable efficacy for your patients because you can and because you want to supplement your income could lead to some tension.

I 100% agree on the location issue. In choosing my residency, location was THE most important thing. Aside from more desirable locations in general, the ACGME match offers a degree of choice that the AOA match can't. Also, and I can't speak towards the ACGME programs at all, but what I've encountered in the DO world here, there's the sorta-creepy feeling of nepotism/cronyism here, and that it's some club that you're either in or you're out. Based on some of the personalities, I think I might rather be out.

It's not specific to the DO world my friend. If anything, I would argue that the DO world is a smaller world but incidents as you described happen with equal frequency in the ACGME world. It sucks, I know, but what can you do? I feel like I've had to work my ass off to get to where I am but there will always be people that can leapfrog ahead of me with a lot less effort because of the phone calls that can be made on their behalf.

GOING BACK TO CHICAGO!!!!

St. James Olympia Fields
Internal Medicine

We also got a few slides in a recent lecture about how to code for it (something about tagging on "-25" at the end of codes lol)....apparently it's quite easy and that whole "coding by regions" treated thing is really where you end up upping your income.

It's a little more complicated than that.

1) you have to put "somatic dysfunction" as a diagnosis and code the appropriate region you treated.
739.0 head
739.1 c-spine
739.2 t-spine
739.3 L-spine
739.4 sacrum
etc

Then you use a procedure code to bill for how many regions you treated

1-2 regions is 98925
3-4 regions is 98926
5-6 regions is 98927
etc.

Then on the superbill say you charge a level III visit you would need to be sure the biller adds a "modifer-25" code to the overall office visit so you get paid for the manipulation treatement along with your HTN, HLD, Headache, etc.

I do all my own coding since most of the billers are not familiar with how to code manipulation so I end up teaching them. Best to learn it correctly when in residency. It will make your future that much easier.

It's a little more complicated than that.

1) you have to put "somatic dysfunction" as a diagnosis and code the appropriate region you treated.
739.0 head
739.1 c-spine
739.2 t-spine
739.3 L-spine
739.4 sacrum
etc

Then you use a procedure code to bill for how many regions you treated

1-2 regions is 98925
3-4 regions is 98926
5-6 regions is 98927
etc.

Then on the superbill say you charge a level III visit you would need to be sure the biller adds a "modifer-25" code to the overall office visit so you get paid for the manipulation treatement along with your HTN, HLD, Headache, etc.

I do all my own coding since most of the billers are not familiar with how to code manipulation so I end up teaching them. Best to learn it correctly when in residency. It will make your future that much easier.

Just for the sake of the conservation, how often do you run into insurance refusing to cover OMT?

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a stupid question, but how does one find the data for the derm and plastics spots? I recognize that plastics requires a standard surgery position at first, but I was curious how you can quantify the results for those specialties from the data we have on AOA matches right now.

This might be a stupid question, but how does one find the data for the derm and plastics spots? I recognize that plastics requires a standard surgery position at first, but I was curious how you can quantify the results for those specialties from the data we have on AOA matches right now.

go to http://www.opportunities.osteopathic.org/ and count up all of the derm and plastic spots.

Just for the sake of the conservation, how often do you run into insurance refusing to cover OMT?

I've only had problems with Oregon medicaid because there are only certain diagnosis that they cover. So unless I am using it to treat some type of headache Oregon medicaid will pay but anything that has to do with back pain they will not. They only cover what is called "above the line" which is generally what has been determined to be important enough to pay for. The thinking is that no one ever died from back pain.

Last edited:
go to http://www.opportunities.osteopathic.org/ and count up all of the derm and plastic spots.

I've used that method before, but I haven't been able to determine how many positions are filled each time. I see the positions filled/spots open data, but was looking for the information as to who matched this year, from which schools, etc. Plus, in the natmatch data, why are no derm spots mentioned? Because of the transitional year? Still pretty unfamiliar with residency stuff, which is probably evident lol.

I've used that method before, but I haven't been able to determine how many positions are filled each time. I see the positions filled/spots open data, but was looking for the information as to who matched this year, from which schools, etc. Plus, in the natmatch data, why are no derm spots mentioned? Because of the transitional year? Still pretty unfamiliar with residency stuff, which is probably evident lol.

Yep. DO Derm is a year removed from the regular match. I'm 99% sure that you don't even apply for spots until you are doing your transitional year.

No, but I helped my mom build her cabin. The name is in honor of her masterpiece in Alaska. See my avatar for the finished product. It has been there since 1984.

That is awesome. I've always wanted to go to Alaska...maybe catch a salmon or two.

Yep. DO Derm is a year removed from the regular match. I'm 99% sure that you don't even apply for spots until you are doing your transitional year.

Formally, 100% correct. And that will be reflected in the AOA/opportunities page. In practice I think most programs have handshake deals to take certain people from back when they are interviewing to match into FM/IM/intern year. At least that's my understanding of how most programs run it.

Hehe alot of FM and IM handful of EM and one psych so far. Oh and one rads. But this is limited by my small sample size of those i was able to stalk.

Any good locations or all community programs?