Do/mba, Do/phd, Do/mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eldarion3141

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The master plan for me right now, go to a DO school, get a combined degree, work as an ER doc, and then eventually move up into administration. ]
I am finding the schools that offer these programs through their websites, but i was wondering:

what are the pros and cons of the DO/MBA, DO/MPH, DO/MPA programs?
am I right in assessing that the DO/MBA is most useful for those who want to start their own private practice someday?
If I did not go to a school that offered a combined program (LECOM for example) would it be a realistic goal for me to try and get a MBA on my own?

The main reason that I want to get a combined degree, (not sure which at this point) is to get into administrative positions evenutally or to teach at a DO school.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to NSUCOM you get a MPH for free!

All of them require more time energy and money... DO/PhD can pay off with scholarship or full tuition.. but takes much longer.. and more important for people going into research.. otherwise wasting your time... you will be working in ER don't really need MBA... MPH.. can be more usefull for future work in administration etc..

I know UNECOM does offer MPH through KCOM... something like that.

It depends honestly on the program. Some joint MBA and joint MPA programs (that i'm familiar with) vary in cirriculum. Worse case scenario is that you have a school that doesn't have it together and really sucky program (friend of mine doing MD/MBA is getting killed). Make sure you know and understand the circulum and some schools might work with you with a dual degree program. Talk to you dean about in the school you will be attending about programs they offer. Some might be able to work with schools in the area for a dual degree.

As for MBA degree in reference to private practice ... honestly don't know what that would prepare you for because healthcare financing is not usually taught in MBA programs unless you have a healthcare concentration (my school offers one). I really like the MPA program in reference to healthcare administration and would recommend that program over an MBA program as it would be more applicable to your administration goals.

I'm in a MBA program (healthcare concentration which means 4 classes in healthcare) and applying for med school in 2 years after I complete the program. Why? B/c I'm going part time and working full time right now.

You need to do research on what you really want to do then go from there. MPH will help you on the public health aspects but not administration. MBA is good for general business. MPA is my suggestion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go DO/PhD at UMDNJ, they pay for everything.
PhD better for teaching, MBA/MPA/MPH better for administrative positions.

-J

eldarion3141 said:
The master plan for me right now, go to a DO school, get a combined degree, work as an ER doc, and then eventually move up into administration. ]
I am finding the schools that offer these programs through their websites, but i was wondering:

what are the pros and cons of the DO/MBA, DO/MPH, DO/MPA programs?
am I right in assessing that the DO/MBA is most useful for those who want to start their own private practice someday?
If I did not go to a school that offered a combined program (LECOM for example) would it be a realistic goal for me to try and get a MBA on my own?

The main reason that I want to get a combined degree, (not sure which at this point) is to get into administrative positions evenutally or to teach at a DO school.

If you want to work in administration, then an MPH or MBA will give you the upper hand. If you wish to work in management in emergency medicine, then MPH will be your best option. It is very common to find emergency physicians that have MPH degrees, especially if they are in some medical direction or administration positions. If you wish to instead work on the business side of the department, then an MBA may be useful, but it is uncommon to find an emergency physician with this degree.

The current president of the American College of Emergency Physicians (the largest organization of its kind in the U.S.), Dr. Robert Suter, is a D.O., M.H.A.

He is the president of ACEP, an Emergency Physician, and an EMS medical director (the MPH helps with this as well, or you can do an EMS fellowship.)

The ONLY reason you would do a Ph.D. for EM or for any specialty would be an interest in research. It would not be appropriate to obtain this degree in an attempt to enter managerial positions.

You might want to wait on an MBA until you get a feel for the business side of medicine. From what I hear, most MBA students have some experience, or are currently working in the field they are trying to manage in. You can always go back to school in the future.

By the way, do you have any admisitrative experience?

DOctorJay said:
Go DO/PhD at UMDNJ, they pay for everything.
PhD better for teaching, MBA/MPA/MPH better for administrative positions.

-J

yup. what he said.

Also have to plug the DO/MPA program at UMDNJ. That is a great program and I actually know someone who is there that is finishing up the MPA program. There is also an MBA/DO and JD/MBA there as well. All programs are joint with Rutgers University out of Camden. The MPA program is program I was referring to in my above post. I wish I would have done that over the MBA but then again, I wasn't sure about doing healthcare when I first started the program and I have a business background so MBA would be more natural for me.

As for the myth someone metioned about having business experience for an MBA. Having someone who is NOT business oriented in a business program is hard, but for instance the program at camden you can take your prereqs like basic finance, accounting, economics, statistics in the program, therefore its a longer program. Each program varies which is why I speak from experience when I say make sure you look at the whole picture and know what you are getting yourself into. My friend who did MD/MBA had NO business background whatsoever and I know a few people who have engineering degrees in the program. Yes they have analytical backgrounds, but no "business". MBA is for management for the most part and its not strictly for business. That is a misconception. The MBA can be applicable in a "big" picture type of sense because it gives you a sense of business. Healthcare has evolved into a "business" with the emergence of Managed Care, Governmental Regulations and Policies, and more not-for-profit organzations (ie insurance/hospitals, etc). Yes a doctors specialty is medicine but its nice to be able to "manipulate" the system when need be when you are a dept head in reference to my business background that I have. I would suggest researching what you think would be a good fit. My honest opinion is an MPH or PhD will not do you good from a "business/administrative" side unless you are looking specifically for a position in public health. An MBA/MPA would be your best option. I know there aren't a whole lot of MPA programs out there, especially geared towards healthcare ... but I have 1 med student and 1 doctor in my MPA classes that I take now and supposedly a few other floating around in the program. Look into UMDNJ if you are interested in that school, but do not limit yourself to it. I know some of the above posters attend there so do not feel pressured (no offsense meant guys). You really have to plan it out because I have seen some med students struggle in an MBA program because it wasn't thought out (mostly by the implementation on the schools part).

Best of luck. :luck:

~Mushy

KCOM's masters programs (online) give you 7 years to finish, and a nice discount that continues during those seven years as long as you take at least one course while at KCOM. They offer MPH/MHA online.

Also, I've known some professionals who have done online course work through the University of Phoenix. They offer an MBA program online, I believe. These are very successful executives who have done this. You could do it on your own, although it can be a little costly.

You also might want to check with your undergrad school. Some of distance learning/online program that you might be able to do on your own.

OSU-COM's DO/MBA program is 5 years. You take off 1 year between 2nd & 3rd years for MBA work. The MBA program is taken through Oklahoma State University-Stillwater.

KCUMB offers a four year dual DO/MBA in Healthcare Leadership. It is an MBA designed for med students. Overall, this is your best bet for what you want to do. MBA is additional $25K I think.

I have no business experience, other than being a cashier at a convience store, lol.

I'm doing the dual degree program at DMU for a DO/MHA (Master's in Health Administration). If you are interested in administration and health finance, then this is the Master's program for you. I do have to finance it myself, but I have a loan through the school that is deferred like the rest of my loans and the classes are half price with 6 credit hours of electives that you don't have to take because they cross-list. It hasn't been hard so far, but very busy. You have to be a good time manager. They are very student friendly and work with you on independent study if you can't make the course during the scheduled time and can also do courses online (some of them). You might take a look at the website and see. They also have an MPH program as well. Some gun-ho students even do DO/MHA/MPH! I don't think I can be that motivated yet.

I also think that an MBA is not specific and would take a little more of your time to complete because you need emphasis courses. An MPH is really not what you are looking for unless you want to work in fields like epidemiology, CDC work, social work, etc. Again, search each osteopathic school's website, there are a lot of schools that offer different programs for students.

babyruth said:
I also think that an MBA is not specific and would take a little more of your time to complete because you need emphasis courses. An MPH is really not what you are looking for unless you want to work in fields like epidemiology, CDC work, social work, etc. Again, search each osteopathic school's website, there are a lot of schools that offer different programs for students.

depends ... my program is MBA with concentration in health management.

I wish I would have done the MPA (masters in public administration with a concentration in health care management) which is similar to your MHA program but overall I'm happier with a MBA because it is general business which I feel is more useful in the real world. For example, MPA/MHA prgs often neglect marketing which is very important in business overall. Especially as medicine becomes more like a business every day.