DO/MBA for a Family Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluphilosopher

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am currently in my 2nd yr of grad school and am planning on entering PCOM in 2001. ( fingers crossed...)
I really had a strong interest in the MBA program offered, but I am currently leaning toward being a family phys.
My question is does a FP have a dire need for a MBA? I have heard some sides to the story. One doctor reccomended to a friend of mind with the same question that they just get a strong staff with a good administrator so they could just focus on practicing medicine ( very strong advice I might add). While much literature I have read has indicated a pressing need for physicians to have business sense. I like the oppertunities that an MBA brings if I decide to practice lest hours so that I can have quality time with my family for a while. Any thoughts?
Also would a 5 year program hurt my chances of getting the HPSP ( I know part time med school work makes you illelegible for the NHSC)or any other service required scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.