DO/MBA for a Family Physician

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by bluphilosopher, Jul 25, 2000.

1. bluphilosopher

Hello all!

I am currently in my 2nd yr of grad school and am planning on entering PCOM in 2001. ( fingers crossed...)
    I really had a strong interest in the MBA program offered, but I am currently leaning toward being a family phys.
    My question is does a FP have a dire need for a MBA? I have heard some sides to the story. One doctor reccomended to a friend of mind with the same question that they just get a strong staff with a good administrator so they could just focus on practicing medicine ( very strong advice I might add). While much literature I have read has indicated a pressing need for physicians to have business sense. I like the oppertunities that an MBA brings if I decide to practice lest hours so that I can have quality time with my family for a while. Any thoughts?
    Also would a 5 year program hurt my chances of getting the HPSP ( I know part time med school work makes you illelegible for the NHSC)or any other service required scholarship?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.