Do MCAT seats fill up fast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hugh2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If i want to register for April 23, 2016 MCAT, do I have to register on October 21,2015 when registration opens? How fast do spots run out?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends, I guess. There are different "zones" you will fall within. Obviously signing up earlier will be best for getting a seat in your choice location and having ample time to reschedule or change said location.

I would register close to when it opens. Do seats run out fairly quickly? Yeah, sometimes. If you're not flexible when it comes to dates, the earlier the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in Massachusetts so is this a popular MCAT place?

They really should open more prometrics facilities in California

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I tried to sign up for the May MCAT earlier this year, and 5 minutes after signup opened the closest seat was 400 miles away. So I guess sometimes they do.

If it's like signing up for the 2015 MCAT, then yes...Every time I selected a testing center, the center would fill up before I could get a spot and I'd have to request another one.

Does it usually open at 12 am the day it says it will open?

If I recall they tweet out what time it opens from the AAMC twitter account. It's an incredibly efficient process.

If I recall they tweet out what time it opens from the AAMC twitter account. It's an incredibly efficient process.
If by "incredibly efficient," you mean the site crashed 3 times the day it opened the year I signed up, then yes.

Reactions: 2 users
If i want to register for April 23, 2016 MCAT, do I have to register on October 21,2015 when registration opens? How fast do spots run out?
The 2 closest places to me were filled about 30 minutes after registration opened

No. I can't remember exactly when it opened the day I signed up, but I think it was between 8:00 and 10:00 am.

Members don't see this ad :)
I logged onto the site 10 minutes after registration opened and I was person #1,200 or so in line. So yes, seats fill up fast.

That being said, seats do tend to open up around cancellation deadlines.

What @mcatjelly said - 5 minutes after it opened "here" and I was 15 minutes waiting in queue to find all seats taken.

that'd be way too helpful. they should also open up medical schools that aren't northstate but im asking for too much probs.
The dean that started northstate is trying to open a new med school in southern california called promed but I doubt that will be much higher quality.

YES. I signed up during the silver zone for September testing and had to make many adjustments for the date. Then, a week before the exam Prometric called to tell me that the site had been shut down and I couldn't take the exam. I was able to reschedule and take the exam on the same day, but my test center was 2 hrs from where I lived, with no available hotels.

If you're in CA, they're gone within a blink of an eye.
Yup. Bay area, I stayed up until they opened and actually logged in the night before so I didn't have to deal with the server issues in the morning. Paid off...I got a spot on exactly the day/time I wanted <2mi from my house. By the next day on SDN I was hearing people in my area who couldn't find a good date in the area at ALL.

Yup. Bay area, I stayed up until they opened and actually logged in the night before so I didn't have to deal with the server issues in the morning. Paid off...I got a spot on exactly the day/time I wanted <2mi from my house. By the next day on SDN I was hearing people in my area who couldn't find a good date in the area at ALL.

Might be a stupid question, but how did you log in the night before? The system is offline right now...should we expect it to open back up?
On another note, what information do we need for registration? Just credit card really?

Might be a stupid question, but how did you log in the night before? The system is offline right now...should we expect it to open back up?
On another note, what information do we need for registration? Just credit card really?
Huh, just checked and it looks like they completely changed the system when they overhauled the test. Sorry I can't be of more help.