DO/MD overlap in applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Baker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN. I recently got back from an interview at one of the less competitive MD schools (stats wise MCAT avg < 30).

While there, there were ~ 20 other interviewees and as I'm sure happens in most interviews, we all start talking about the app process, what schools we applied to, etc. When asked, I brought up the DO topic, saying I've applied to a few DO schools. I'm met with silence and the room sort of goes quiet. Nobody else says anything about applying to osteo schools and the topic doesn't come up the rest of the day. I understand that many students applying to top allo universities don't consider the DO route but I would have thought that at less selective allo institutions, there would be a lot of overlap. I mean, we all want to be doctors, right?

Does anyone know numbers for the amount of students that apply to both types of programs, or does anyone have similar stories? I just felt weirded out by the whole thing and was wondering if this was more school or region specific, or a widespread phenomena.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN. I recently got back from an interview at one of the less competitive MD schools (stats wise MCAT avg < 30).

While there, there were ~ 20 other interviewees and as I'm sure happens in most interviews, we all start talking about the app process, what schools we applied to, etc. When asked, I brought up the DO topic, saying I've applied to a few DO schools. I'm met with silence and the room sort of goes quiet. Nobody else says anything about applying to osteo schools and the topic doesn't come up the rest of the day. I understand that many students applying to top allo universities don't consider the DO route but I would have thought that at less selective allo institutions, there would be a lot of overlap. I mean, we all want to be doctors, right?

Does anyone know numbers for the amount of students that apply to both types of programs, or does anyone have similar stories? I just felt weirded out by the whole thing and was wondering if this was more school or region specific, or a widespread phenomena.

I would say there is large overlap, especially the students with the 3.5/30 and below. Sounds like the students at this school were either an anomaly or just awkward people if they would react with dead silence to your statement.

It was like 1/3 applied to both in 2008.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people just don't want to go to do schools no matter what their cv looks like.

Area of the country can really make a big difference as well.

I think it's a stigma thing. People feel like if they admit they are applying to DO schools they are saying, "I have low stats." Obviously, this isn't always the case. I also think people don't want to be overheard at Allo programs discussing Osteo programs during the interviews.

The reverse has happened to me at interviews, people will say, "I interviewed at X Allo school" with an ear to ear grin, like I should be doling out cookies for their amazing success or something...

It's a hit or miss thing and sometimes, as people above have stated, you are dealing with an odd bunch of interviewees.

Awkwardness (due to nerves / insecurity / paranoia) during interview day seems to be universal in my experience, whether at MD or DO schools. People come off as being very guarded in what they say, as if the secretaries are secret AdCom spies just waiting for you to say the wrong thing, upon which they immediately shred your app.

I think it's a stigma thing. People feel like if they admit they are applying to DO schools they are saying, "I have low stats." Obviously, this isn't always the case. I also think people don't want to be overheard at Allo programs discussing Osteo programs during the interviews.

The reverse has happened to me at interviews, people will say, "I interviewed at X Allo school" with an ear to ear grin, like I should be doling out cookies for their amazing success or something...

It's a hit or miss thing and sometimes, as people above have stated, you are dealing with an odd bunch of interviewees.

Yeah, at my most recent DO interview.. this one applicant went on and on and on about having interviews at "georgetown, uvm, temple, downstate, upstate, tulane" blah blah blah. Shut up. There's no need to boast. And even then, who's to say you got in any of those with that smug attitude? I have enough confidence in myself not to brag about my other MD & DO interviews.

Responding to people going quiet after saying you interviewed at DO, I'll say its because they'd rather not have an adcom overhear anything about other schools you've been at (especially if they're older and may still have a bias against osteopathic medical schools) and because as an earlier poster said.. for some people it is an admission of lower stats, so they'd rather not expose themselves to openly to a bunch of strangers.