DO/MD Physician Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squidproquo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does the required DO/MD physician letter need to be from a doctor you've worked with in a clinical setting? I understand the reasoning for this, but I have a letter from a practicing MD who was a professor for a few health-related classes I took. He often shared advice and stories about his experiences as a physician, so I'm wondering if this is sufficient.

Thanks in advance.

Obviously, you should try and get a letter from a physician you have shadowed/worked with in a clinical setting. If you're going mainly DO (assuming DO is a possibility since this is the DO subforum), you should try reasonably hard to get a shadowing gig with a DO and a letter of rec from them. Some schools require a DO letter, but more of them will accept MD letters as well. Would it be sufficient to get a letter from a physician you haven't shadowed? Probably at most schools, but maybe not at others. You would be better off covering your bases by arranging a letter from a physician you shadowed, for multiple reasons. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a (good) letter from him, but I wouldn't count on it satisfying all requirements, just to be safe. If all else fails, call your top schools and see what they say.

Yes, this would work for any school requiring a letter from a physician as long as it meets the D.O. requirement for the select schools who require D.O. letters rather than M.D. letters. It may not be ideal, but as long a the letter composer is a practicing physician then you are perfectly fine with submitting it.