DO, MD, should I even try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate anyone who would give me their opinion on this, as well as any relevant details.

I have a 3.9 gpa, extensive medical exposure (volunteer, as well as third world medical missions work) and study abroad experiences.
The catch: my MCAT. V7 P9 B10

I am female and Asian American, which places me at a disadvantage (the Asian part)

I am taking my MCAT over in August, but the prospect of a dramatic increase is quite slim. I have heard of too many horror stories of people with better qualifications that are rejected. What do you think are my chances?

-Joan NYC

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Joan-

You will definately get into an osteopathic schol with thos numbers, but make sure osteopathic medicine is something you surely want to do (ie don't just use it as a backup). You GPA is stellar and you MCAT are above average (except for verbal), but that should gain you admittance into most osteopathic schools and probably your state MD schools (if you are in CA it might be harder, but New Yorkans i is relatively easy). Retake the MCAT if you can improve on or stay the same on allsections. I don't think it will help if you improve verbal but go down on bio or physical science. Good luck in the application process and congratulations on your decision to become a physician.

Joan,

You should definitely apply to NYCOM. They have a very strong in state preference and your numbers should at least get you an interview.

Good luck, Linda

Members don't see this ad :)
Since when are Asian Americans considered "disadvantage"? Female in a DO program MAYBE, but I don't think we (Asian) are disadvantage when it comes to medicine. If anything there are way too many of us in it!
smile.gif
Good Luck.

Miglo

I wouldn't think for a minute that your going to get into an osteopathic medical school. You might, but it is not a given, as someone above stated! Your scores are great, but, you are only slightly above average. The 7 in verbal is going to draw some criticism and will provide some hurdles to jump over. Not trying to sound negative or trying to scare you, just being honest and realistic. I hate it when students give their scores, and then others say, "oh, you won't have a problem getting in!" Not true, admissions is a tough game to play, it is a crap shoot!

[This message has been edited by libuser (edited June 28, 1999).]

Ok, maybe I overstated it when I said she would get into all osteopathic schools, but I know she will get into the lower tier osteo school (Touro, Pikesville, LECOM). These school AVERAGE around a 3.3 GPA, 24 MCAT. If you don't believe call the admissions offices at these schools. The original poster has a GPA of 3.9...that alone will al least get a # of interviews. I don't know how you might think other wise, when 50% of applicants top LECOM score below a 3.3 with a less MCAT.

------------------
Nik
UNECOM class of '06

Nik
Like I stated before, my numbers were much higher than hers, and I didn't even GET an interview with Touro, LECOM, or Pikeville, so it is not a "given". I was also accepted to one of my state MD schools, and a few DO schools that are better. Admissions IS a crap game.
MIGLO,
Asians ARE at a disadvantage when it comes to the MCAT (this is what she meant). They are expected to score higher on it. Admissions will hold them to a higher standard. I have read this in several admissions books, and the average MCAT score per section is higher than for whites, and everyone else. Unless all of these books are wrong (which is possible), I would agree that you need to score higher as an "asian". Asian also lumps many groups together (Indians, Arabic people, oriental descent, etc.)

Joan, that 7 is low, but the 9 and 10 are pretty good. Many students don't prepare much for verbal (I didn't, but scored an 11 since I had an extensive English background at my first liberal arts college). If you can do better give it a shot, but not at the expense of the other two scores. If they go down, I think it may hurt you more. Target schools that care more about the other two sections. This can be figured out by their literature, and avg. scores. I think you can get admitted somewhere (depending on your other attributes), but you'll have to explain to everyone why you scored low on verbal. Have a good explanation prepared. Make sure that osteopathic medicine is what you want though. Good luck.

You still have a chance to some DO school. Some schools will consider you as a not American born student and tend not to be too strict in your verbal score. Don't give up yet.

Hey Nik, why don't you WISE up to reality ! Since when did a few subjective numbers decide whether someone is fully capable or not in being a physician. Yes , I am sorry to tell you, I was accepted to LECOM , and I will be attending, and for your information dude, my GPA was well above the 3.3 you stated previously. For the MCAT part, lets just say LECOM does a TERIFFIC job in not placing too much emphasis on such a screwed up test that is only given twice a year and testS you on irrelevant information from physics or general chemisty, courses most people have taken alomst 2-3 years before they even take the stupide test. I will admit , I didnt fair too well on that test, but if it was not for schools like LECOM, I would not have been given this chance to prove I have the abilitities just like anyone else that can get into medical school with high GPA's and high MCAT's.. So why dont you re- think your ignorant statements about the lower tier schools, and wake up to reality! Oh by the way , if you didnt know, which i doubt.. you do know LECOM has a pass rate over 90% on the boards, and they have a decent size class also!! SO please keep your trivial comments to yourself

Mr Russo-

Thank you for your harsh words criticizing my opinion, but your reply just proved my point. A person with a high GPA, low MCAT is likely to get into LECOM (which is what the original poster wanted--subjective info--not biased opinion from a accepted student. I do know that LECOM has 97% board pass rate and all but one matched into their top chpoice of residency (he decided to do a program that he did not match into). Just admit that LECOm is one of the newer schools---had some birth troubles---but is now back and becoming stronger than ever.

Joan,

Check out http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/bcmed.htm
for med school info. You can find the schools with the lowest MCATs, GPA's, etc. and do side by side comparisons. Not all of these are DO schools. By the way, the newness of a school does not necessarily make it easier to get into, as Touro actually had higher numbers than most of the other DO schools. Trying to impress the accrediting agencies, I suppose. Hope this helps.

P.S.,

Yes, the reverse Asian bias sucks.