Is 7 letter of recs too many (even if they're good)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 6 letters submitted for my pre-health committee (3 science (one of which is my academic advisor), 2 non-science, 1 research)). There is a class (non-science, but healthcare related) that I just took this last semester for which I did really well and contributed a lot, and I got along with the professor very well. I feel like I contributed more to this class than the 2 other non-science classes for which I got LORs and she would be able to write a very good letter. However if I get another LOR to add to my pre-health committee folder that would delay the committee LOR, and I'm not sure if 7 LORs is too much. Is it worth getting a 7th LOR as long as it's good? And would it be better to have it submitted as part of my committee folder LORs or just directly to the med school app service? I'm applying to only DO schools btw if that matters.

Thanks so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you submitting a bunch of letters so your pre-health committee can consolidate into 1 amazing letter? If yes, sure why not get a 7th for more info and they can use the best. If no, are you asking if you should submit 7 letters to a school?

If I was reviewing apps and someone submitted 7 letters, I would lean over to my colleague and say, "look at this tool." I then would probably review them and the application the same way, but still.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you submitting a bunch of letters so your pre-health committee can consolidate into 1 amazing letter? If yes, sure why not get a 7th for more info and they can use the best. If no, are you asking if you should submit 7 letters to a school?

If I was reviewing apps and someone submitted 7 letters, I would lean over to my colleague and say, "look at this tool." I then would probably review them and the application the same way, but still.
Can you blame them? With schools having their own obscure requirements these days, it's foolish to not have your bases covered. Unfortunately, unlike AMCAS, you can't assign letters and the max you can add to AACOMAS is six.

Reactions: 1 user

The 7th letter I was considering adding was for the pre-health committee letter. I'm not sure if that changes anything, but I won't be submitting a bunch of letters to aacomas, but rather the committee uploads a credential file that incudes their committee letter as well as the supporting LORs. I was thinking the 7th letter would help them right a stronger committee letter, but it seems like they do include the supporting letters as well in the packet that they send.

As someone who has to read these, please have mercy on us. Gilding the lily doesn't help.
Are admissions required to read the supporting letters used for the committee letter, or just the committee letter? Because I am considering the letter just to be used to help my pre-health committee write a stronger committee letter, but they do give the schools access to the supporting letters as well. I can see why having too many individual letters would be annoying but the letter I am considering getting is mainly for the committee letter.

If they're in the app, I read them all
I am terribly sorry to interject in this thread. I was hoping to get your take on my situation....

I currently have 12 Experiences on my AACOMAS along with 3 Achievements. I still have not listed a hobbies, which would take my total number of boxes from 15 to 16.

I was hoping if you could Enlighten me on what you would recommend? Should I include the hobbies? Or leave it be...

I am terribly sorry to interject in this thread. I was hoping to get your take on my situation....

I currently have 12 Experiences on my AACOMAS along with 3 Achievements. I still have not listed a hobbies, which would take my total number of boxes from 15 to 16.

I was hoping if you could Enlighten me on what you would recommend? Should I include the hobbies? Or leave it be...
Read my sig lines, please

AACOMAS doesn't cap your experiences so you can put 15+. There's also a completely separate section for awards/scholarships/etc.

Most schools don’t even allow you to submit that many letters. Pick the strongest 4, maybe 5:
1-2 science
1 non-science
1 physician letter
1 research/work supervisor/volunteer coordinator/personal