Medical DO/MD - Should I retake my MCAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I hope this is an appropriate question to ask here, but it seemed nice to get some expert advice. If I should ask this elsewhere, lmk!

To preface, I am currently a senior at a somewhat well-known 4-year university majoring in Biology. I am white and a first generation college student.

So basically I just recently received my MCAT scores from 1/19: 503 (125/126/127/125)

My cGPA is 3.70 and my sGPA is a 3.62.

As far as my ECs go:

Resident Assistant for the past 2 year; this past year being a Head RA in my current residence hall
- Also a Resident Assistant abroad in London for 2 months this past summer

EMT both at home and at school ~800 hrs

I had an Assisted Living Administration Internship (~130 hrs); I basically shadowed the administrator, activities director, and nursing. Helped complete administration projects. Interacted with the residents. It was pretty fun!

I have some, but far from stellar research experience (e.g. no publications/posters etc.)
However, I have maintained a relationship with one of my freshman year professors, who I occasionally help out with some of projects she is doing. I also had a summer internship while abroad where I basically was a research assistant in a London University Psychology Department. Nothing stellar, but I guess it's better than nothing lol.

Without going into too much detail about some of my service experiences to keep anonymity:

Freshman year; volunteered for the Special Olympics Event; where I had a freshman specific leadership role

Sophomore year: Went to an elementary school once a week (~3 hours a week) to serve as a teacher's aide

Was a campus tour guide from my freshman-junior year

Senior year; was part of my one of my school's day of service committee

Also, this semester I have picked up a part time scribing job in with a family practice MD.

I know this may be a bit vague, but hopefully it gives a generally idea of where I'm at. I view DO and MD equally at this point and would be happy to attend either one. So would a re-test be worth it or should I spend the time elsewhere (eg. adding more to my app/ensuring it is sent in literally as early as possible)? And if you would suggest a retake, when would be the best time to do that?

Thanks, again! I really appreciate your help :)

You're fine for DO especially with a broad application, but if you want the MD I suggest a retake. Unless you live in a very lucky state

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.