SF83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
I have been seeing doctors who have both DO and MD written after their name- how is that possible? Does that just mean they went to DO school but took both COMLEX and USMLE?

Taus

15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
3 options that I'm aware of:

1. Were foreign MD's who had a tough time getting US residencies and went to a program like NYCOM's to get a DO.

2. Bought the MD degree during the merger in California in the 1960's

3. Used a current program through some Carribean school where DO's can take a brief course and get an MD.

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status
Attending Physician
or it's AT Still, who's still alive, working with Elvis at a Burger King in Kalamazoo Michigan... ;)

About the Ads

Pharos

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Northeast NY
Status
jonb12997 said:
or it's AT Still, who's still alive, working with Elvis at a Burger King in Kalamazoo Michigan... ;)
That's excellent!!! :thumbup:

SuperDOgirl

SuperDOgirl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2005
Boston
Status
Pre-Medical
Taus said:
3 options that I'm aware of:

1. Were foreign MD's who had a tough time getting US residencies and went to a program like NYCOM's to get a DO.

2. Bought the MD degree during the merger in California in the 1960's

3. Used a current program through some Carribean school where DO's can take a brief course and get an MD.

While these speculations may be true, I am just convinced that MDs are becoming more receptive and appreciative of OMM and osteopathic medicine approach. I was told by a DO in Boston that OMM workshops were held at Harvard Medical School for any MDs who are interested in learning about how to use manipulative and palpative techniques on their patients. It doesn't surprise me to see a certified MD go back into training for osteopathic medicine. Patients are smarter these days. They are able to do research on their own to figure how they want to be treated and who they should be treated by. OMM offers the most comprehensive care available to patients in conjunction with modern medicine, tools and procedures.

Taus

15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
I wasn't trying to comment on the efficacy of OMM....I simply stated the legitimate (NOT speculation) routes that allow/allowed some physicians to hold both degrees....

But yes, I do agree that it is becoming more accepted....and Harvard definitely offers OMM as a CME course.

WestcoastMedicine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
New York
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I would probably vote in favor of the DO was given an MD degree in California when they tried to phase out Osteopathic Medicine. I suppose you could go back to medical school, I can't imagine going through it all twice, maybe they gave them some credit for the classes they already had and allowed them to just take the Osteopathic stuff?

Shinken

Family Medicine
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2003
Lima, OH
Status
Attending Physician
It's not advertised very much (for obvious reasons) but what the person might have done is get a really high score on the USMLE. The NBME will actually allow DOs that score in the 99th percentile in the USMLE the right to add "MD" to their titles and stationery. Like I said, it's not advertised, and not many DOs attain those high scores, but those that do are surprised to find this out.

Taus

15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
Shinken said:
It's not advertised very much (for obvious reasons) but what the person might have done is get a really high score on the USMLE. The NBME will actually allow DOs that score in the 99th percentile in the USMLE the right to add "MD" to their titles and stationery. Like I said, it's not advertised, and not many DOs attain those high scores, but those that do are surprised to find this out.
I'll take your word for it...but I would love to see the link to that...just for the sake of curiosity...

judgehopkins

10+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2004
Status
jonb12997 said:
HEY, I live in Kalamazoo, Don't knock this place...

although I think I saw him at the burger king on westnedge.

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
Mizzou Med
Status
Shinken said:
Hah. So you can test out of allopatic medical school? That's awesome. Which Step or do you have to score 99th on all three?

I don't think you can with any legitimacy claim to be an MD if you were not awarded that degree. It's also hard to imagine why the NBME would want to have such a policy.

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status
Attending Physician
judgehopkins said:
HEY, I live in Kalamazoo, Don't knock this place...

although I think I saw him at the burger king on westnedge.
I used to live in Kalamazoo too (portage) when I was little... otherwise I wouldn't make fun of it ;)

Lee

Sleestack
Staff member
Administrator
20+ Year Member
Dec 31, 1999
Status
Attending Physician
Shinken said:
Come on guys -- shinken is pulling your leg. Duh.

MD = Graduated from allopathic medical school
DO = Graduated from osteopathic medical school

There are no magical pathways to either degree.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
Shinken said:
yeah, ok.

About the Ads