Do > md?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneticMedic

Medicine in The Genes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just have a quick question. Once I am ready and I have all of the necessary courses, as well as the MCAT finished with a desireable score, I plan on applying to many MD/DO schools. For example, let's say I get accepted to a DO school and attend. I complete my four years, as well as the COMLEX, and become a licensed DO. Now, that I am considered a physician at this point, do I just state that I would like to take the USMLE's and I can also obtain an MD? Granted I pass of course. I have seen on the internet some physicians are for example; John Doe, D.O., M.D. Given the example I just did above, is that how they obtain both an MD and DO? Vis versa as well, graduating MD, but taking the COMLEX and obtaining a DO? Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

Um no. You can't get an MD by going to a DO school. end of story. If I wasn't in a horrible mood, and about to go to sleep, I would elaborate on my answer, but I am...

Uhm, I could be wrong... but the only time DOs became MDs was during the whole California incident some 30 years ago where DOs were forced to pay like 80 bucks or something to get their MD or be forced out of practice...

Other than that, I've never heard of a DO also having an MD or vice versa...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just have a quick question. Once I am ready and I have all of the necessary courses, as well as the MCAT finished with a desireable score, I plan on applying to many MD/DO schools. For example, let's say I get accepted to a DO school and attend. I complete my four years, as well as the COMLEX, and become a licensed DO. Now, that I am considered a physician at this point, do I just state that I would like to take the USMLE's and I can also obtain an MD? Granted I pass of course. I have seen on the internet some physicians are for example; John Doe, D.O., M.D. Given the example I just did above, is that how they obtain both an MD and DO? Vis versa as well, graduating MD, but taking the COMLEX and obtaining a DO? Thanks :D

Just for clarification, the MD,DOs you see are likely emigre physicians from other countries who complete 4 yrs at a DO school. NYCOM has a program like this.

I personally know of one doc in NJ who has gone to both MD and DO school (at separate times of course) and that is how he got to be an MD and a DO. Why do that? No idea.
The school grants you the degree, not the USMLE or COMLEX. You are not changing anything by taking a test. Have you ever thought why all the DO students who take the USMLE are not DO/MD at the end?

This just in, apple > orange!

The school you graduate from grants you the degree. Osteopathic school= DO, Allopathic school= MD. DO students are required to take the COMLEX to get their license but have the option of taking the USMLE in addition. This is for applying to residencies since DOs can enter the ACGME match. Many programs in the ACGME match take the COMLEX scores but not all. People also say that more competitive programs require or would strongly like an USMLE score. None of this affects your degree though.

You go to a DO school to get a DO degree. The thoroughness of the education you receive also allows you be eligible to take the USMLE and apply for an MD residency program. All this means is that you do your residency alongside MD residents. You still keep a DO degree, and that is the degree you practice with... whether you're a surgeon or an internist.

Lots of DOs take the USMLE and pass. That doesn't mean they get an MD, that just means they can get an MD residency.

Lots of DOs take the USMLE and pass. That doesn't mean they get an MD, that just means they can get an MD residency.
Not necessarily. A lot of MD residencies accept COMLEX as well. More than half of my school's matching class got into allopathic residencies this year, but I highly doubt more than half took the USMLE.Where will you run into residencies NOT accepting COMLEX? Surgery, surgical sub specialties, anesthesiology, radiology... and it all depends on the specific program. I think I've heard of some allo Derm guys are now starting to take COMLEX, but don't quote me on that.

That said, I personally am taking USMLE in addition to COMLEX because I plan on applying to surgery. Any DO can take and do well on USMLE and have a decent shot at competitive residencies, but it all depends on how hard you strive to truly learn the materials you're taught in the first 2 years.

Took COMLEX only....interviewed at some great programs....matched into #1.

Stop with these rediculous questions. SEARCH

I have seen this too on the internet. A cardiologist I know comes up this way on the internet. He is a DO but he did an allopathic residency and fellowship. I think whatever IT person that enters doctors on websites has no idea about the DO, MD difference. They are not both it is probably just a DO who did an MD residency.

Not necessarily. A lot of MD residencies accept COMLEX as well. More than half of my school's matching class got into allopathic residencies this year, but I highly doubt more than half took the USMLE.Where will you run into residencies NOT accepting COMLEX? Surgery, surgical sub specialties, anesthesiology, radiology... and it all depends on the specific program. I think I've heard of some allo Derm guys are now starting to take COMLEX, but don't quote me on that.

That said, I personally am taking USMLE in addition to COMLEX because I plan on applying to surgery. Any DO can take and do well on USMLE and have a decent shot at competitive residencies, but it all depends on how hard you strive to truly learn the materials you're taught in the first 2 years.

I never said the USMLE was required for a DO to get an MD residency, which by your response seems to be what you thought I said.

Stop with these rediculous questions. SEARCH

Was that directed at me? Because I didn't ask the question...

lol at op +1 for asking that question, which will start a pre-med DO post war on this thread.

Just for clarification, the MD,DOs you see are likely emigre physicians from other countries who complete 4 yrs at a DO school. NYCOM has a program like this.

This is what I have seen and heard. My next door neighbor is a DO/MD because he has his MD from Egypt and he is in the NYCOM program here. He has just received his DO degree making him a MD/DO, he said only one person has ever asked him about it and it's not that big of a deal. He said I just want to be a doctor, don't really care about the intials.

I can't understand why people cry for the MD initials. I also don't like people using the whole DO thing as a backup. My insight on it

This just in, apple > orange!

I always compared them as: Orange with seeds : Orange without seeds.

You're gonna get the same flavor, look, composition, etc etc... You'll just have some with seeds and some without.

Child like anology, I know. Sorry for starting this thread.

A speaker at the AAO Convocation this weekend stated that the emigre physicians who are presenting themselves as MD, DO are doing so illegally under New York state law.

Child like anology, I know. Sorry for starting this thread.
No need to apologize. This is a simple matter with a simple answer. No reason for people get their panties in a bunch. :)

It is truly amazing how people continue to get hung up on this issue. I will admit that I have previously posted with my own confusion on the matter. I have been very fortunate to work side by side with many orthopods that hold either an MD or a DO. The difference only becomes apparent in the individual, not the degree. As I stated in an earlier post, if I didn't know that Dr. So-and-So was an MD, and Dr. Whatshisname was a DO, I wouldn't know any different. They are doing the SAME things. I will be applying to both. I don't care if I get selected by a DO school instead of an MD school. I will work my butt off and try to be the best damn doctor I can be, no matter what letters come after my name. That is what my patient's will expect.:D

It is truly amazing how people continue to get hung up on this issue. I will admit that I have previously posted with my own confusion on the matter. I have been very fortunate to work side by side with many orthopods that hold either an MD or a DO. The difference only becomes apparent in the individual, not the degree. As I stated in an earlier post, if I didn't know that Dr. So-and-So was an MD, and Dr. Whatshisname was a DO, I wouldn't know any different. They are doing the SAME things. I will be applying to both. I don't care if I get selected by a DO school instead of an MD school. I will work my butt off and try to be the best damn doctor I can be, no matter what letters come after my name. That is what my patient's will expect.:D

+342789347892 :thumbup::thumbup: