Do Med Schools accept AP credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took AP US History in high school and got 3 credits for it counted towards my BA degree.

The reason I'm asking is because, this spring semester I'm planning to take the MCAT so I was thinking about easing my college work load to 12 credits.

The thing is...if I do take 12 credits then I will have 90 credits (counting my 3 credits from AP History). If AP History ISN'T counted, then I'll only have 87 credits (and I'll have to take another class to get to 90). From what I have heard medical schools require you to have 90 credits undergrad (I may be wrong on that?).

SO will my AP credit be counted to make that 90 credit minimum, or should I take that extra class?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools only care about your BCPM in terms of AP credits. AP US History is not one of those so feel free to take 12 credits. And yes you can list AP credits on your AMCAS app.

I took AP US History in high school and got 3 credits for it counted towards my BA degree.

The reason I'm asking is because, this spring semester I'm planning to take the MCAT so I was thinking about easing my college work load to 12 credits.

The thing is...if I do take 12 credits then I will have 90 credits (counting my 3 credits from AP History). If AP History ISN'T counted, then I'll only have 87 credits (and I'll have to take another class to get to 90). From what I have heard medical schools require you to have 90 credits undergrad (I may be wrong on that?).

SO will my AP credit be counted to make that 90 credit minimum, or should I take that extra class?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

This 90 credit hour rule is for matriculating into medical school.

For an example, lets say you get into Northwestern. They require "the equivalent of three years of college (135 quarter hours/90 semester hours) is the minimum required for entrance into the medical school." So if you applied during the summer as a rising junior and got in, this rule would be important to you.

But I assume with 87 credit hours you are not a rising junior this coming application cycle.

So take the 12 hour semester if you want. I hope that helped.