Do med schools average out multiple MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools average out multiple MCAT scores, take the highest score or just take the most recent score?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, different med schools do different things. I read somewhere on SDN that Tufts takes your highest score in each section, but I could be wrong. And I've definitely heard of some that average multiple MCATs, while others take your most recent score. I'd do some searches on SDN and see if anyone has compiled a list of which schools do which. If not, I guess you'll have to hit the web sites of the schools you're interested in to find out, call them, or double check the MSAR (don't know if it says it in there or not).

Do med schools average out multiple MCAT scores, take the highest score or just take the most recent score?

It just depends on the school. I've come across some schools *George Washington Medical* that will take the highest scores for each section *like a superscore* and I've heard that some schools take your lowest (not sure on that though). It really depends on where you go, but I think the majority take the best ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
The majority take your latest.

I only recall Jefferson being the school that averages your scores.

thx for the replies.

the search function isn't working for me. would anybody happen to have the link to that thread?

thx for the replies.

the search function isn't working for me. would anybody happen to have the link to that thread?

I also did a search and couldn't find it so if someone finds it please post it because would like to know the schools that take the highest from each section.

From "MCAT Essentials":

The majority of schools weigh each series you take.

What this means, I don't know.