Do med schools care about honors courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BraveNewWorld

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my school offers the honors sequence for math, which is what all the intense science people take. I don't feel prepared enough for math and will probably just take Calculus II, a continuation of AP Calculus in high school. In high school to gain admission to top schools, you had to have taken the most challenging classes so I'm wondering if med schools follow this same thought. Also, I don't go to a state college, I go to a very well-ranked school in HYPSM. So my question is, do med schools care I'm not taking the most rigorous classes?

Members don't see this ad.

They wont know unless the course number is way higher. Just don't take a ton of 100-level classes every semester and you'll be fine.

Unless the tougher course has "Honors" in the name, the person reading it will likely not know the difference anyways. Even if it does, you're better off with an A in the normal level than a C in Honors for biting off more than you could chew!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The level of "honors" courses varies so widely, it's impossible to give points for taking them. Some schools may not have any honors courses. Take honors if you want to; it won't give you any edge in admissions.

As for rigor, unless your transcript looks glaringly/purposefully easy, you have nothing to worry about.

The level of "honors" courses varies so widely, it's impossible to give points for taking them. Some schools may not have any honors courses. Take honors if you want to; it won't give you any edge in admissions.

As for rigor, unless your transcript looks glaringly/purposefully easy, you have nothing to worry about.

On this note, if your transcript is littered with honors courses (specifically labeled) does that carry any weight?

Honors courses are generally beneficial in that you're able to form a more strong relationship with the professor (great sources for LORs). In terms of boosting a med school application, I think honors courses may have nominal effect because all honors programs are built differently. Do you have to complete an honors thesis to graduate because this might be another beneficial aspect of your program (i.e. a chance to do independent research and have the ability to intelligently discuss it in future interviews)?

Reactions: 1 user
On this note, if your transcript is littered with honors courses (specifically labeled) does that carry any weight?
I highly doubt it because the rigor of honors courses varies too much for points to be given to people who take them.

I hope not. Because I'm probably not taking any more. Too much work for a class that will be subjectively interpreted and is not required. Every honors class at my school has been interdisciplinary (2 professors different subjects) and has required several long papers and presentations. They are labeled as HON-xxx on the transcript.

If you complete a certain amount of honors classes by the time you graduate you get some certificate for it at my school which is completely useless as well.

I did like the classes because they were largely discussion based and we got a lot of varying viewpoints and had some great organized debates during in class activities. Mine have all been seminar style; you will definitely have a lot to talk about if asked during interviews.

Last edited:
Honors courses are generally beneficial in that you're able to form a more strong relationship with the professor (great sources for LORs). In terms of boosting a med school application, I think honors courses may have nominal effect because all honors programs are built differently. Do you have to complete an honors thesis to graduate because this might be another beneficial aspect of your program (i.e. a chance to do independent research and have the ability to intelligently discuss it in future interviews)?
Nah, we didn't. The big difference was that the class focused on discussion rather than lectures. Since the class sizes were ~10 people and very heterogeneous when it came to majors, we had a very different experience than those in non-honors courses.

Nah, we didn't. The big difference was that the class focused on discussion rather than lectures. Since the class sizes were ~10 people and very heterogeneous when it came to majors, we had a very different experience than those in non-honors courses.

If you enjoy the program and it does not cause you too much frustration, I stay stick with it. My opinion is that if the program makes you feel more well-rounded, it is good (although it may no be a huge bump in terms of your application). If you were able to effectively and eloquently discuss what you found enjoyable about your time in the program, if it came up, then it may prove beneficial during interviews.

If you enjoy the program and it does not cause you too much frustration, I stay stick with it. My opinion is that if the program makes you feel more well-rounded, it is good (although it may no be a huge bump in terms of your application). If you were able to effectively and eloquently discuss what you found enjoyable about your time in the program, if it came up, then it may prove beneficial during interviews.
I actually graduated with honors already :banana: but I do have a lot of positives to talk about. I have taken both honors and "normal" GE's and the honors classes were significantly better.