Do med schools care about reasons for bad grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameStitch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools consider reasons for bad grades?

Me for example: science GPA and overall GPA were around 3.6-3.7. I got 1 D and 1 C in major science courses my 3rd semester partly due to some medical circumstances (lots of time in doctors office throughout the semester and an infection a few days before those 2 finals - infection didn't get serious because I had medication) which brought down my GPA a lot.

By the time I apply, my science GPA can be a 3.45 and my overall a 3.6. All average ECs aside, do med schools even consider that there was a reason other than poor time management?

Sorry if this question was already asked, I couldn't find a thread for it! And thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

did the infection involve an ICU stay or an amputation? If so, you might be cut some slack. If not, it sounds like an excuse. Were either of these courses o-chem?... that seems to be universally the course that most often tanks applicants' GPAs. Keep working hard and hope for the best.

Fortunately the infection didn't involve either of those...one of the courses was o-chem, but I did do better the second time around and am doing all I can to improve my GPA. Thank you so much for answering!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it bad if the class is ochem? I am in a similar situation.. how much does this hurt us?

If you need background, I have A's in like ~85% of my science classes except for Ochems.

Is it bad if the class is ochem? I am in a similar situation.. how much does this hurt us?

If you need background, I have A's in like ~85% of my science classes except for Ochems.

If I see an applicant with a gpa that dips in sophomore year and then bounces back I'll bet any other adcom member $5 that the cause was o-chem. I almost never lose. ;)

It is really common & doesn't seem to be deadly to one's chance of admission.

Reactions: 1 user
If I see an applicant with a gpa that dips in sophomore year and then bounces back I'll bet any other adcom member $5 that the cause was o-chem. I almost never lose. ;)

It is really common & doesn't seem to be deadly to one's chance of admission.
What if you see:
Ochem 1 A
Ochem 2 A
Ochem 3 A
Natural product synthesis A
Physical org chem A
synthetic org chem A
;)

Nope. It's a seller's market, and there are tons of applicants who didn't have bad grades and who didn't make the poor choices of trying to bull their way through a semester while being sick. Your numbers still are competitive; you just have to apply strategically.

Do med schools consider reasons for bad grades?

Me for example: science GPA and overall GPA were around 3.6-3.7. I got 1 D and 1 C in major science courses my 3rd semester partly due to some medical circumstances (lots of time in doctors office throughout the semester and an infection a few days before those 2 finals - infection didn't get serious because I had medication) which brought down my GPA a lot.

By the time I apply, my science GPA can be a 3.45 and my overall a 3.6. All average ECs aside, do med schools even consider that there was a reason other than poor time management?

Sorry if this question was already asked, I couldn't find a thread for it! And thanks for reading!

Are relationship issues a legitimate excuse for a semester dip in grades? Like say your s/o was having terrible health issues or they were cheating on you or <insert other stressful situation>

Thank you for the response. I don't know if you thought I was trying to use sickness as a selling point but I certainly wasn't. I was genuinely curious as to whether I should bother explaining that though I was doing fine throughout the semester, I bombed two very weighted finals. I understand your point though.

Thank you for the response. I don't know if you thought I was trying to use sickness as a selling point but I certainly wasn't. I was genuinely curious as to whether I should bother explaining that though I was doing fine throughout the semester, I bombed two very weighted finals. I understand your point though.

There are some schools, I remember BU specifically, that have spaces to explain any grades below a B-. That would be the spot, but I wouldn't put it anywhere on the AMCAS primary.